LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How to tell when a wet disposable needs changing

I'm looking for some advice. I'm struggling to tell when my baby needs changing from his wet nappy. I don't want to have to keep asking, as this detracts from the experience for both of us.

I've tried squeezing the crouch and putting my finger under/inside the leg of the nappy,

This is definitely something that comes with time and experience. First it depends on how full does a diaper need to be before it warrants a change. Some people go to near/slightly leaking before changes, others do it sooner.

If you stride to use each diaper to the fullest possible without major leaks, then the leg-band wetness isn't a great indicator for changes, because most leg-bands get wet when the diaper is like 50-60% full, or even sooner if the wearer floods their diapers.

At the 50-60% mark is also usually when the wearer's skin begins to actively feel wet, so you can feel for that as well.

One can tell a diaper is getting to its maximum capacity/leak point by noting the symptoms of diaper failure. The SAP begins to fail and loose structure, becoming really squishy and wet. This can be felt in the crotch area the most. This is a distinctly different feeling to when the SAP is working properly, note the differences so you can tell. Also as the SAP fails the diaper will have more press-out, which will cause minor leakage out of the leg-bands, leaving those toddler

I think if you're using diapers without wetness indicators it might be time to just let him wear to the point of leaking for a week, and time roughly how long it takes him to leak, average it, and then change him every time 90% of that has elapsed between diaper changes. You'll also develop an awareness of when he has capacity to spare from looking at his diaper.

A bit odd, but you can put a flashlight flush against the diaper and once that beam hits a wet area it will light up the wet surrounding areas. Not sure how practical it is, just something I figured out one day. It could come in handy if you're using AB style diapers with no wetness indicators. You'll be able to tell wet vs dry clear as day.