LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

convenience diapering used to be a marketing strategy

I was one of those kids who was diapered for long trips and other kinds of activities because my bladder was so small.

• Like 1

I wonder whether by 'children of all ages' the ad actually means specifically those who are prone to accidents. I.e. it's not trying to imply that every child might be expected to wear them, but that they offer a solution for children who would be at risk of an accident even if they are older than typical potty-training age. Just thinking that the copy might not be worded very precisely.

OTOH I remember overhearing a tantalising snippet of dialog on this subject when in my early teens and becoming very interested in nappies again. I only heard part of the sentence and spent a lot of time afterwards trying to rationalise and explain it away, as indeed it might have been entirely misheard. It was from a mother to one or both of her children (younger than me) about to embark on a long car journey, and seemed to be the question 'Do you want to put a nappy on?'. It was the voluntary aspect that caught my attention - she didn't insist or load the question, it was simply an offer. The implications of this suggestion coming from an adult whom I respected were spellbinding. Had my own mother asked the same or about wearing terry-lined waterproofs I expect I would have been unable even to form a reply.

When I was little, it was not uncommon for girls to be put in diapers under two conditions. Now, you must remember tha 1952 was just a dozen years after the Great Depression and grownups were very chary about things like water and "light" bills

The standard of measure was could a girl go for 2 hours COMFORTABLY without needing the toilet. If not, then diapers were in order, and this could be until about 8 years of age. Also, boys in a group tended to roam whereas girls usually stayed at someone's house so a boy could find a place to relieve himself and his plumbing allowed for that; not so for girls

If a group of girls, usually about 4 or 5 that included 2 or 3 under 8 year olds were at someone's house for the afternoon; 12:30 to 4:30, the under 8's were diapered, This was to save on the water bill by eliminating 2 or 3 extra flushes at 5 gallons a go, and so they would not tie up the bathroom every hour

The other time was on long car trips af about two hours, which, prior to the Interstate System: I-95, I-93, I-80, etc, with their mile-a-minute4 speeds, were much more commonr. From Tiverton RI (adjoining Fall River; MA) to Roxbury, Boston MA was a 2 hour door-to-door trip down Rt 138 at speeds between 35 and 45 MPH. Well, men and boys could stop the car next to one of the very many wooded areas and go off behind a fiew trees and "see a man about a horse", which girls and woemn could not do, but a grownup could hold it very well for those two hours. Not so a 7 7 year old girl so she coulod count on being in a diaper

Wow, does reading the Drylife ad bring back my childhood memories! The funny thing is the ad is for a product made in England, so I cannot figure out how my grandmother could have seen it in the 1940's when my mom was a child with a tiny over-active bladder.

With or without seeing this ad, Granny Vi nicely asked all her daughters, starting with her oldest, Alice, my mom, to wear "Just-in-Case" diapers on long car trips and to special events where finding toilets would be problematic.

Way back then, Granny used pinned Curity gauze diapers. When PlayTex resumed production of their stretchy latex baby pants in 1946 Granny bought those to cover the diapers for Alice who was 9 that year. Vi's other not yet toilet-trained daughters also wore Curity diapers and PlayTex panties.

When Alice started having kids in 1959 she adopted the Just-in-Case diaper plan, still using Curity gauze diapers but with Gerber vinyl pants. Granny had lost her bladder control before Alice was born, so she also wore diapers all the time. Alice also needed diapers all the time before my oldest sister Penny was born.

Granny told her daughters the odds were that eventually they would have bladder control problems so they might as well accept diapers as their normal panties. Penny is 5 years older than me. Since she did not object to being diapers I accepted this as being perfectly logical. Certainly we were hardly the only older gals being diapers in public facilities. Granny had encouraged Alice and her sisters to become pen-pals with other diapered gals they met. Alice did the same with us.

Neither Granny nor Alice can remember routinely diapering friends of their daughters who were visiting after school to conserve water. However they would diaper any girl who asked, with the permission of the other mother. For example, our neighbor down the block was my age. She also had OAB and never stopped bedwetting. Only rarely did I wear diapers at home as a child, but at her home my friend was diapered as soon as she got home from school. When I played at her house I also was diapered and vice-versa.

My husband Don is much older than me. In 1940, when Don was 8, he became best pals with a boy (Joel) a few months younger who was diapered immediately after school. So was Don when he played there. By then Don's younger sister had a nanny, who diapered Joel but not Don after school.

Edited by Angela Bauer
Clarity, fix typos
On 23/06/2016 at 10:40 PM, DailyDi said:

f0483af687bf25ad7b7644386bab0a69.jpg

Actually Dry life is still going here in dear old England, they were the sort of adds that i would pour over in the papers wishing i had them.

To DD,

Am thrilled to hear that you are looking into making STAYDRY PANTIES. They were some of my favorites. Although I did not get to wear them in my young bedwetting days. I was resolved to birdseye cloth and Gerber super toddler plastic panties.

I did have some relatives that wore them nightly and I was always jealous because I thought they weren't diapers. ( ha ha). Sign me up for the first pair.

• Like 1

I've had ongoing, serious bladder-control issues since I experienced a surgical misadventure when I was 14 years old. Before that, I was a bed wetter until I was about 10. My guardian preferred that I wear a diaper to bed because she didn't like having to launder sheets on a daily basis. However, one of the family doctors we had for a while thought that wearing diapers for bed wetting made the experience more comfortable and that the discomfort of waking up in cold, wet pyjamas and sheets would make me try harder to stop. So wearing diapers for my bed wetting was an on-and-off thing. Up until I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, I also wore a diaper for long car rides and things like having to sit through long church services. I knew a couple of other kids about my age who were also diapered for church.

On 6/26/2016 at 6:15 PM, DailyDi said:

At least the boys could go off "in the bushes" or behind a few tress and let go. Not so the girls. And it was a bone of contention in families, too. NOBODY I knew wamted to be put "back in diapers and rubber pantis; just like a BABY". Which is why you learned to hold it "like a big girl" as quickly as you could. And you should have seen the show when a girl got her first sanitary panties; and what THEY were made of

This is like confidence marketing for a product they know is crappy.

"Your children WILL accept that they're wearing this cheap diaper.

But remember not to use it as a replacement diaper, since this is only for the few "just in case" drops."

lol