LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Car Troubles

Elfy

My parents gave me a car 6 weeks ago. Not a new one, their old one when they were replacing it... A 2000 Citroen Saxo.

It was due its MOT today and it has come back as failed on 14 separate items as well as an advisory on 4 more.

FML.

Ugh, the dreaded MOT :crybaby: I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do as they are rather strict in regulating these inspections and the shops doing them. Human nature being what it is you might be able to fnd some lenience on a small less visible issue but with this many that's not likely to happen. You're either going to have to fix it well enough to pass, break it yourself, or send the lot to the local breaker's yard. If you do fix it, ask around to find out where the 'friendliest' nearby MOT station is and get them do handle the re-inspection ;)

The only tougher inspection scheme I'm aware of is in Germany. You folks over there have it tough. Over here it's a lot easier and some places like where I live there's no inspections at all. There's some knowledgeable mechanics here on DD so maybe let us know what the specific problems are and see what we can do to help :)

Bettypooh

I trust that this garage isn't ripping me off. They aren't a chain place, they are an independent company and they have done repairs in the past at discount or even for free at times so I trust they they are not taking me for a ride.

As for the things that are broken... They are numerous and everywhere. Suspension in multiple places, brakes, steering, the anti roll bar, exhaust... Seems like it is falling apart and it makes me wonder how it go through its last MOT.

For the price of repairs we are probably going to have to look at getting a new vehicle.

Probably better off getting something new with a warranty and not having to worry about service for the next several years vs fixing this used car. Its the main reason I traded my 07 Shelby GT500 for my 2013 Track Pack Mustang GT. The repairs from racing, and the warranty had expired so I knew if I busted something major like the engine, I was looking at some serious cash to replace. Probably best thing for you to do is the same.

If you can post the list of faults, some people here might be able to offer useful comments.

Consider looking for a 3 to 4 year old Kia with 4 to 3 of the 7 years guarantee still on it.

It sounds as if your parents' maintenance philosophy in regard to that car was "Don't mess with it as long as it will move itself". It certainly seems as if the repairs will cost more than the sled is worth. I think I might try advertising it for sale on your local equivalent of Craigslist, "Won't pass MOT; $PRICE or best offer" in the hopes that someone else is trying to keep a Saxo up and running. Good luck!

4 hours ago, Elfy said:

My parents gave me a car 6 weeks ago. Not a new one, their old one when they were replacing it... A 2000 Citroen Saxo.

It was due its MOT today and it has come back as failed on 14 separate items as well as an advisory on 4 more.

FML.

Sorry to hear that Elfy :(

What do you plan to do? would it cost too much to get it legal again?

I don't really mind as it makes sure the cars on the road are worthy of being there. I'd be a lot more nervous if I knew people around me were driving cars that were breaking down in one way or another.

It's just a shame that this car has so much unseen stuff wrong with it because it is a nice little car.

9 hours ago, Elfy said:

I don't really mind as it makes sure the cars on the road are worthy of being there. I'd be a lot more nervous if I knew people around me were driving cars that were breaking down in one way or another.

On 06/11/2016 at 8:44 AM, Wet Knight said:

Considerlooking for a 3 to 4 year old Kia with 4 to 3 of the 7 years guarantee still on it.

Nah, those cars are poorly constructed. Just go with a Toyota or a Honda.

As for suspension and steering, replacing that many components would be expensive for just the parts, but if you got air tools, the labor is pretty quick. I would say if all those parts have to replaced, it is time for a new car.

Unless you can find a cheap 'donor' car with the parts you need in good condition, you will probably not give a decent cost/benefit ratio from repairing it. And the problem with 'donors' is that the same things wear out first on all of the same kind of car so you usually just end up with twice the amount of junk parts :(

• Like 1