LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

I learnt something today about this derogatory term in the US. Didn't know Pocahontas is an insult to a Native American or one of such descent. No thanks of course to DJT.

I said this in chat but I will say it here again for anyone reading who wasn't in chat!

Unless there is a context I'm missing I don't think it is derogatory as much as just insensitive. Like calling all Russians "Boris" or all Mexicans "Jesus".

13 hours ago, Elfy said:

I said this in chat but I will say it here again for anyone reading who wasn't in chat!

Unless there is a context I'm missing I don't think it is derogatory as much as just insensitive. Like calling all Russians "Boris" or all Mexicans "Jesus".

Boris is not a common Russian name and neither is Jesus that for Mexicans.

Jesus was/is the 6th most popular name in Mexico according to this: http://www.babycenter.com/0_most-common-baby-names-in-mexico_10341179.bc

Boris is the 58th most popular name in Russia according to this: http://www.babycenter.com/0_most-common-baby-names-in-mexico_10341179.bc

But I didn't pick Boris after research, I just picked a stereotypical name to prove a point, much like Jesus... I doubt Pocahontas is a popular Native American name but it is still a stereotypical one thanks to the film.

It doesn't really have anything to do with how common a name is.

6 hours ago, Elfy said:

I doubt Pocahontas is a popular Native American name but it is still a stereotypical one thanks to the film.

I wouldn't say it was thanks to the film. She's probably the most well known in history, mainly because she married a European man quite early into England's colonization of the Americas.

I would guess a lot more people know her because of the film rather than the event. At least internationally. I'll be honest, I didn't even know it was based on a real person or event!

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/11/2016 at 8:10 AM, Jennynappy said:

I learnt something today about this derogatory term in the US. Didn't know Pocahontas is an insult to a Native American or one of such descent. No thanks of course to DJT.

While I wasn't in the chat where this apparently originated, I can tell you that it's not really a derogatory term for Native Americans at all. As Elfy pointed out, it's at best insensitive in the context that Donald J. Trump used it in, and even then it's honestly not even close to one of his better insults. (It might actually be his least effective insult to date.) Remember, this is the same guy who labeled one of his primary opponents as "The Sheriff of Nodding Off," branded another as "low energy," and labeled a third "Lyin' Ted," and while you could argue that his primary opponents were just more cartoonish overall, I'd add that he also came up with "Crooked Hillary" for his general election opponent. The reason that "Pocahontas" fails as an insult, is because it's never been considered one, and the "punchline" that's supposed to make it effective is extremely esoteric, even to the audience it's aimed at. (The reason Trump labeled Elizabeth Warren as "Pochahontas" is because she supposedly has some Native American heritage in her family, which most Americans either are, or at the very least were, largely unaware of.) In contrast, "Crooked Hillary" sticks because Hillary Clinton already has a reputation for being "crooked," and she consistently engages in behavior that reinforces that reputation, even if it's at least somewhat distorted or overblown. The fact that she reacts to it doesn't do her any favors either. (Bernie Sanders pretty much ignored "Crazy Bernie" since he knew acknowledging it would only further fuel Trump.) Likewise, "low energy" and "Lyin' Ted" both provoked reactions out of the candidates they were leveled at, and both of those candidates made the same mistake of acknowledging Donald Trump's insults leveled at them as well. To this extent, Elizabeth Warren has actually been a lot like Bernie Sanders by ignoring the insult leveled at her, and instead just beating Trump over the head with the insults he's lobbed at everyone else. You'll also noticed that Trump is moving away from "Pochahontas" and going directly for trying to brand Elizabeth Warren as "weak" without the "Pochahontas" reference, which is a sign that it isn't working as the insult it was intended to be.

An old friend insists that offense is taken, not given. I don't fully agree but it's generally true that names can only hurt you if you let them. I know that offense was intended toward one person here but in the unintelligent and inconsiderate use of that name someone just alienated a whole group of people who can vote against him :o IMHO Trump is still a little rich brat inside and that doesn't work in a mu;ti-cultural world-wide setting <_< Once again we've got only rotten choices of electable candidates to choose from :bash:

• 1 month later...