LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Do night-time diapers help prevent Alzheimers?

Alzheimer's is not yet fully understood, so I can see where almost anything could be a factor.

Regardless that, it is good for the body to sleep deeply enough to gain the complete rest it functions best with. I believe that my bedwetting in my youth was a result of deep sleep as I was never easy to waken. Not even when my drunken Dad fired a shotgun in the room next to me :o One of the treatments for childhood bedwetting is to reduce the depth of their sleep which I personally feel is harmful to the mental development of children. Like potty training it works best when the time is right for the individual and the correct time will be different for everyone. Children don't feel a need to remain alert enough while sleeping to react to outside stimuli, while adults find it becoming necessary as they become responsible for their own selves. You can't expect responsibility to occur in a person until they develop far enough mentally to understand why it is necessary. so let the children develop mentally first then work on the physical aspects of life as they become capable of handling them. Alzheimer's affects the mental aspects first so perhaps there is a link between insufficient time being given for early mental development (allowance for deep sleep) and the later onset of the disease.

Just a supposition on my part based only on empirical and anecdotal evidence, but that doesn't mean that I'm wrong either ;) To err on the safe side I recommend that we all sleep in diapers just in case :P

• Like 1

This is where I first found out about the new discoveries:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/horizon-curing-alzheimers

Unless in the UK you are unlikely to be able to stream the video. However, the key words are these:

" A new system inside the brain has been discovered which clears amyloid in deep sleep, but allows it to accumulate when we don

Until there is some evidence other than "We found a new thing, it might cure alzheimers/cancer/etc" then I'm going to be sceptical of it. Every other week there is news of a new way to cure something and it always fades away.

Regardless, for a vast majority of people, getting up in the night probably isn't that common and for those that do get up to use the bathroom before coming to back to be their sleeping isn't all that disturbed. I would imagine this sort of research is more towards people who have insomnia or can't sleep more than a few hours in one go, or people whose quality of sleep is bad.

I really don't see this as "Oh boy, better train myself to be a bedwetter!" type of news.

Well I said it wouldn't help the vast majority... There will always be some people to whom maybe it would help more. If someone is getting their sleep disturbed more than once due to needing to pee then maybe it is of more use. But rather than "diaper training" I would perhaps suggest using a catheter, since you aren't having to train yourself to do that which might take a long time, with a catheter you could stop getting your bladder waking you up at all.

25 minutes ago, Orchidectomy said:

Thus the research has gone far beyond identifying mere correlation between two matters that might or might not have a causal relationship

If they haven't worked out whether the two things have a relationship... Doesn't that mean that even after anything posted here this is still just correlation?

But I'm no scientist... If you have trouble staying asleep and diapers help you sleep through the night then it isn't a bad thing whether or not this research turns out to be important!

Thankfully they did do actual experimentation in this study. It was not p-hacked.

Here is a link to the original article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482795/

Now, Elfy is right about night time diapers. There is no evidence that they will help you prevent Alzheimer's disease. By your logic, then you should never have kids, because, well, you know, babies cry quite a bit during the night. I think it is important that we recognize that the OP has a hypothesis, not a fact.

Jason,

You wrote " By your logic, then you should never have kids, because, well, you know, babies cry quite a bit during the night." Nonsense! I did not say that, neither did I infer it.

What I am suggesting is that all forms of sleep disturbance should be identified and remedied where possible and to the extent possible, so as to avoid interruption of deep sleep and thus head off the problem of failure to clear beta-amyloid deposits. That does not imply finding a single remedy. In such circumstances several partial remedies working together can be equally beneficial.

Dlover49 has it right. Having to get up during the night is an age-related matter. Any benefit from diapering to help sleep through isn't going to contribute to the overall situation until an inability to sleep through without diapering arises. But once that age has been reached, why not take advantage of the potential benefit that diapering can offer?

Elfy...

It is well established in the branch of mathematics we call statistics that correlation does not of itself prove a causal relationship between two variables. There are statistical ways of distinguishing between causation and coincidence, but they only identify the probability of causation. To conclusively prove causation, one needs to go further and identify the causal mechanism.

In the case at point, that has been done to accepted standards of scientific proof. So, far from the matter still being mere correlation, it is a done deal in terms of explaining why there is a failure to clear the amyloid deposits. That's why the search is now on for two things:

• In the realm of prevention: Enhancing uninterrupted deep sleep, to aid the natural process, and...
  • In the realm of cure: Developing drugs that will promote clearance by mimicking or stimulating the natural process.

The diapering suggestion is, at most, one possible contribution to the matter of enhancing uninterrupted deep sleep. It may sound absurd, but when I was born the idea of man walking on the moon was absurd. With so much at stake, surely we should consider all possibilities - even those initially suggested tongue-in-cheek?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Orchidectomy said:

But once that age has been reached, why not take advantage of the potential benefit that diapering can offer?

That benefit has not been established as that is outside the scope of the article. Publishing science is in the details and it has to be taken very literally. If you stretch the truth even a little, then you can become wrong. In their future research, they will investigate whether or not they can use improved NREM SWA to effect memory. Unfortunately for you, in order for you to be right or wrong, they would have to investigate whether or not having to get up during the night to pee can do the things they mention in the article. As I said before, getting up to pee doesn't have to disturb NREM, which would mean what you are implying is wrong, but there can be many reasons why the assertion is wrong. There is a 1% chance that you are right, but that is nature of research.

Time for a recap, methinks.

The original post was a question, not a statement. It asked: " Do night-time diapers help prevent Alzheimers?"

What is clear from the published scientific research is that uninterrupted deep sleep is beneficial in preventing Alzheimers. There's no disputing that; it is a done deal to the accepted standards of scientific proof. So what are the implications as regards action? Rather obviously, prevent deep sleep being interrupted - by whatever means that can be devised.

So the question becomes: Is diapering one way of preventing interruption of deep sleep?

My answer is "maybe". There are pre-requisites:

• The sleeper has to be prone to getting up several times per night, either to go for a wee or because they are wet.
  • Without diapering, such awakening has to produce significant interruption of deep sleep.
  • With diapering, the individual sleeps through episodes that would otherwise have awakened them.

If those three tests are met, then it seems that diapering does indeed have a role to play, as the hypothesis contained in the question suggests. Improbable though it may sound.

• 1 month later...

I've read your posts in the thread "My Catheter/peebag Adventures" but I'm unclear whether you found the catheter helpful in terms of avoiding sleep disturbance. Could you clarify, please? I don't think I'd have the nerve to try inserting anything like a Foley catheter myself, but maybe a Sheath Catheter might suffice for an experiment to determine whether turning in my sleep did or did not cause detachment or malfunction. My guess is that it would work for me by day but not by night.