LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Incontinence management after abdominal surgery

I am going to have to have surgery for an inguinal hernia. I have severe urge incontinence with unpredictable large floods, which I have managed for many years by wearing a diaper 24/7. I am concerned about what I'll need to do to manage my incontinence for the first few weeks after the surgery. I would appreciate hearing from any of you who have had abdominal surgery about how you managed your incontinence in the postoperative period. Were you able to continue to wear a diaper? Did you use an external or internal catheter? Or what?

I had gastric surgery which I figure will be close to a hernia repair. I am incontinent and was able to wear diapers during and after the surgery. My wife changed me as she always does so I don't know how it would be if you had to change yourself. I hope this helps and wish you good luck with your surgery!

I wore for my hernia operation and recovery but mine was at the side of by belly button, talk to your doctor if your hernia is near your groin then the will probably cathiter you as you can not get the area wet for about a week after surgury.

I met with the surgeon who will do my hernia repair a few days ago. The procedure will be open (i.e., not laparoscopic) and will involve placing a tension-free screen to hold the protruding bowel back in place inside the abdomen. It is scheduled for June 8. We discussed the issue of how to handle my incontinence. He said I had three choices: continue to wear a diaper, use an external catheter, or a Foley catheter. He said the choice was up to me, but I think he seemed to favour the Foley catheter.

Rusty Pins,

I would definitely need to have some substantial sedation in addition to the local anesthetic. I'm too much of a chicken shit to do what your friend did. However, I wouldn't need to be totally unconscious to tolerate the procedure. Being happily stoned would be sufficient.

Bettypooh,

Don't worry. I won't take anything to make myself stoned. I just hope that, if I don't have a general anaesthetic, the anaesthesiologist will give me enough sedation to enable me to tolerate the procedure without anxiety.

• 1 month later...

I am the original poster who is going to have surgery for an inguinal hernia this coming Wednesday. I've decided to forego diapers and wear an external catheter for a few days (maybe a week) after the surgery. So I went out and bought the necessary supplies (a dozen condom

Just to tweak your nose, I've fiddled with condom caths...for fun...

Mine would work for about 24 hours before leaking at the top into the diaper I had it covered with and needing to be changed, the silicone ones were best.

And I thought "pleasantly stoned" meant exactly what you meant...on whatever happy juice the doc would give you.

Yeah the new Coloplast that come in the hard little case , the adhesive can be a skin ripping bear, if you have any extra cells on your junk they will certainly pull them off for you. I used to put the rubber ones with the foam tape on my patient and several times a day he would blow that thing out, so when my doc wanted me to do aqua therapy I bought them and never did the therapy because the therapist was a jerk.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I'm the original poster. I had the surgery as scheduled, and it really wasn't all that big a deal. I definitely have soreness in the groin area, but so far at least it's not as bad as I expected. The surgeon said to continue using my diapers.