LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Adult Baby Diapers
FullyLoaded

First cloth diapers

21 posts in this topic

I always wear disposables (Northshore currently).  It's getting to be a little too much.  Just one weeks worth of diapers weighs about 70# on garbage day.  I recently purchased a few pocket diapers from teenadultdiaper.com they work ok.  I don't trust them as much as my Northshore supreme with terry lined plastic pants.

Last night I bit the bullet and ordered 2 babykins velcro diapers with extra padding, 6 babykins inserts and 4 pair of gary PUL pants.  About $250 worth of diaper stuff.  I have never had any real cloth diapers.  I tossed around the idea of flat diapers or prefolds but I don't want to mess around with pins.  With my current disposable I can change it standing up in about 60 seconds.

I'm not ready to totally give up disposables.  I want to avoid messing the cloth ones.  I will still use the disposables for at work, I think in order to get a cloth diaper to last all day it will have to be so thick that I won't be able to walk.  

Is there any do's and don'ts that I should be aware of with cloth?  I probably won't see my diapers from babykins for about 2 and a half weeks.   :(

Yeah they are heavy, but something like 90% of that weight in your used diapers is quite literally water. Your cloth diapers are going end up being just as heavy too you know.

Be sure to wash all of your cloth diapers and boosters to remove

the oils and other stuff inherent in the cotton material. That will

help with absorbency.

49 minutes ago, oleman72 said:

Be sure to wash all of your cloth diapers and boosters to remove

the oils and other stuff inherent in the cotton material. That will

help with absorbency.

and do NOT use fabric softener! it will cause repelling which is the opposite of what cloth diapers are supposed to do. also i wouldn't over-estimate the thickness needed for all day (i.e. 8 hours) wear. i usually get away with 2 day weight prefolds that last me 6 hours and are only half used while pushing fluids. i change then to avoid any unpleasantness like rashes or wet diaper smell.

Thanks for the replies.  Wash before wearing?  It's going to be tough to wait for the washing machine.  LOL No fabric softener, do dryer sheets count?

yes as they're the same thing. you'll need to wash them a few times just to be safe and have fun, lol

Well I'm trying to go the the entire weekend with the cloth pocket diapers I got this week.  They were working pretty well till now.  I went out to visit my Grandparents and my Mom just happened to be there.  We were talking in the driveway and she asked why my pants were wet below my butt.  AHHH!!! I thought.  I told her that I got a wet ass from my tractor seat.  When I got home I discovered that my whole backside was wet.  I guess I'll have to reconfigure.  That was the closest I ever came to be caught. 

Cloth diapers need to be washed and RINSED very well or they will not absorb well. When that happens, they need to be "stripped." Rinsed in very hot water until there is no soap residue. Never use fabric softener or dryer sheets on cloth diapers as it will clog the fabric. When my cloth diapers seem to lack absorption, I strip them and it fixes the problem. Also, new cloth diapers need to be washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer--maybe a couple of times--before they are fully conditioned. I just made four new cloth diapers out of diaper flannel, and they work great.

http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/uploads/monthly_2015_12/large.IMG_20151221_173950_047.jpg.f6a0fc6123dffddec28ad59745e0afaa.jpg

I just got home from work and found a package!  They finally got here.  Now I have to wash them before I try them.  I'll have to load up on water so I can put one on and try it out.  My order was 2 Fitted cloth diapers and 6 doublers from Babykins, 6 more pocket diapers from teenadultdiaper.com  I'll have to warn you that the package from babykins said "babykins" for the return address with "baby" crossed of with black sharpie.  If you look real hard you can see that it said "BABYKINS"  but I don't really care.  

Well my laundry got done.  I weighed one of the babykins velcro diapers and put it on and pulled on a pair of gary PUL pants once I felt wet around the legs, like it was just about to leak, I took off the diaper and weighed it again it only held 630 g. = 630 mL of pee.  So far I'm not that impressed.  Right now I'm wearing the other velcro diaper with 3 Kins boosters and PUL pants over that.  It huge and soft.  LOL.  At this point in time I think disposables are more practical.  The diaper I wore all day at work to soaked up 1600mL of pee and my pants stayed dry.  I'm not ready to completely give up on cloth yet now that I have a handful of diapers that cost me about the same as a month and a half of disposables.

Sorry to read you did not like cloth. Anytime you want to let them go,i will purchase the whole lot. I love cloth.

I'm not giving up on them yet.  I think that if I use them around the house I can save on disposables.  I was just expecting more capacity.  To get a cloth diaper to be as absorbent as a premium disposable  it would have to be twice the size.  Thanks for the offer anyhow.

Take a look at our cloth diapers here made by Gary. They have 8 layers for the center soaker panel and will hold much more liquid then the amount you described. We carry their pull-on style as well, in case you don't like to pin.

http://www.llmedico.com/9/reusable-adult-cloth-diapers/

We also sell Gary Cloth Insert pads which might help with the current cloth diapers you own.

http://www.llmedico.com/product/35/gary-reusable-flannel-incontinence-pads/

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions!

Alex Jensen
Owner/Operator
LL Medico USA Inc.
[email protected]

hi fully loaded,you must wash new diapers,like 5 or 6 time to make them soft and absorbant to their capacity.then you can add doublers till you get no leaks for comfort.

Thanks for the replies.  I now have 3 pair of babykins rubber pants and 2 prefolds from babypants.  The rubber pants are way better at preventing leaks but when I pull then on they grab all my leg hair, Ouch!  The prefolds look promising but I forgot to order pins.  My local pharmacy does not sell diaper pins!  WTF?  I think that cloth is going to be the way I go around the house from now on.  I have been using cloth at night with mixed results.  I don't wet every night usually only when I'm really tired.

Thanks Christine.  I already have 2 orders in.  LOL I ordered the first set after finding out that diaper pins are not sold locally.  I got the tracking email saying that they should be here in 2 week :( Oops!  china order!  LOL  Sunday I ordered some from amazon prime they will be here tomorrow :)

Cloth diapers will feel wet they are not like disposables which feel dry, you need to wetbyour cloth diapers until they start leaking , then you will know how much they hold,then as you add inserts do the same thing so you will know what to expect from any particular setup.

Also as a general rule you should use scent free and dye free soap to wash them, using a scented soap you run the risk of creating a really disgusting odor when your urine kixes with the scents ( and as you fo not eat the same thing at the same time each day,your urine will mix diffrently everyday,So avoid the scented soaps, also as previously stated no fabric softner or dryer sheets and never use bleach or any of the oxcy clean stuff they will destroy your diapers. 

Amy,

I always test new diapers pretty thoroughly.  Cloth just seems different. (more combinations, more "press out", different rubber/plastic pants).  I just use normal tide in the wash.  Hot wash, hot dry.  Its just a bit of a learning curve.  Thanks for the reply. 

On 12/21/2015 at 9:31 PM, FullyLoaded said:

Well my laundry got done.  I weighed one of the babykins velcro diapers and put it on and pulled on a pair of gary PUL pants once I felt wet around the legs, like it was just about to leak, I took off the diaper and weighed it again it only held 630 g. = 630 mL of pee.  So far I'm not that impressed.  Right now I'm wearing the other velcro diaper with 3 Kins boosters and PUL pants over that.  It huge and soft.  LOL.  At this point in time I think disposables are more practical.  The diaper I wore all day at work to soaked up 1600mL of pee and my pants stayed dry.  I'm not ready to completely give up on cloth yet now that I have a handful of diapers that cost me about the same as a month and a half of disposables.

So you find it comfortable to not change the diaper at all during the day? No issues or anything? How long (in hours) do you usually go without changing?

Well its been a while since I posted here.  I have been using cloth diapers around the house, overnight and on weekends.  Basically all the time except at work and messing.  My favorite is Baby Pants gauze prefold with one babykins insert and babykins plastic pants to cover it.  I think that my original failures were do to not washing the diaper enough to "break it in" and my plastic pants were too small.  

17 hours ago, InstantClassic said:

So you find it comfortable to not change the diaper at all during the day? No issues or anything? How long (in hours) do you usually go without changing?

Yes I don't change all day at work I wear a Northshore Supreme with one medium Northshore booster and Babykins terry lined plastic pants over that.  No issues.  I usually work 7-12 hours.  If it's a long day and I wet a lot the terry liner will be pretty wet other that I really have no problems and really enjoy wearing and wetting my diaper!