LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Car Buying with Mental Illness

Thinking about upgrading my car. Do not really NEED to, but there could be benefits to my credit rebuilding process and I'm in a good window where my car is worth a few thousand more than what I owe on it.

Had two horrible dealership experiences that drove me nearly to the edge with my mental illness. I'm used to the annoying games and haggling of buying a car, but this went too far.

First place is claiming an "error" on their website, causing the car I came in for to actually be 5 grand more than what they are advertising - and he quickly showed me the disclaimer that indeed says they are allowed to be wrong (lie even) on their website. Even after the obvious bait and switch I tried to reach a deal on the car, but while the salesman was very helpful the manager on duty was a dick and spent his time trying to argue with me over the "error" and the "true value" of my trade instead of trying to reach a deal. Obviously I walked, after demanding FIVE TIMES to get my keys back.

Second dealer I talked to on the phone, explained I did not want to play games, and confirmed what my trade would be worth in advance and what monthly payment I considered to be my max.

That's really messed up, I'm sorry you had such a hard time with it and the people being ridiculous. At least the first guy recognised how messed up the whole situation was and tried to fix it the best he could. Withholding you're keys to try and push sales is really bad. I'm glad you managed to calm down though, it's fair enough you were shaken by the whole thing.
Fingers crossed it all goes better from now on.

Bad day became an even worse night. Sometimes I have to question why I even fight to stay in a world this fucked up.

Neighbors dog was barking non-stop for 3 hours. Went to see if he was in distress, instead found an injured cat on the other side of the fence. Took hours to get her to trust me enough to take her to the emergency clinic, but it turned out she had head trauma and was likely dropped on our road by the family who chose not to get her help.

Sadly I couldn't take responsibility for her. She was blind and paralyzed on one side and they were quoting at least a grand for tests and care before we'd know if there was any chance to help her. Between the money and her injuries we can't take her in as she'd be defenseless against our aggressive cat so we had to surrender her. They'll care for her for 5 days to give owners a chance to show up... which of course they won't.

Hating the world right now. Fighting a bran screaming for me to just leave it.

I hate when things like that happen :( It's not the whole world that is screwed up, just some of the people in it. Perhaps too many of the people in it. And I could be one of those people myself sometimes :o I love my doggie dearly; she's my main happiness and I know I can always count on her to cheer me up. I wouldn't have made it through the last major episode of depression without her. But she's got some health problems and I'm not rich so there's a limit to what I can do for her. Yeah, I can get the money but at what price to me? I've had to accept that as much as she's worth to me, there is a limit. So my choice is to do what I realistically can for her and as long as she's happy then that will have to be enough. She's going to be gone in a few more years anyway; she's getting old now and that's just how this world is with dogs and people.

We can't save the world; indeed we can't save a lot of it. But when we can save something good we do and that has to be enough because it's all we can really do. I'm sad for the poor kitty who likely had come to the end of the road but without happiness the kitty won't have a good life in the future, You tried your best- you did the right thing where many would have closed their eyes and walked on by. That's why we all love you here :thumbsup: Bless you my friend, and I hope you feel better soon.

And about the car: I'd bet that if you tell that first dealer that you will deal ONLY at YOUR original price, you'll get the car. Tell them you're not going to haggle- you've set your limit and their only answer is "yes" or "no"- period. If they made a close offer, that means they are still in the profit zone which means they can give some more. Raise your voice if you have to. Don't be drawn into anything.

They want to sell a car, you want to buy a car. Tell them it's yes or no at the price you have set and that they have ten minutes to call you back with their answer or you're off to find someone else to do business with. You'll get what you want.

I worked for a shrewd builder once. He'd call the lumber companies to send their representative out for a bid on the materials. He told each one that they had to give him their best price right out of the gate- he was not going to give them a second chance and he wasn't going to hear them come back later trying to best the other guy's bids. One chance only. And when we talked to other builders we found that he was getting his materials much cheaper than anyone else. The sales Rep said they were making 2-3% and that while he couldn't afford to do that for everyone the profit he made off of everyone else covered the difference.

So let the others cover the profit part- they can afford to squeak by with you and they are in the business to sell so they will ;)

Bettypooh

Edited by Bettypooh

I bought a car a few months ago, but I don't ever remember giving the car salesman my keys. I honestly forgot some of the details of the car sales game (already, whoops), but I'd say to stop doing that if you can. I remember that the one thing that could always always always always turn a deal back in our favor (had good 'ol dad with me) was saying the exact words "I think we're at the walking-away point."

Of course, even though I finished my car stuff months ago, I got a call from a dealership (not where we got my car but where we had test driven/given my phone number) just a couple week ago with someone asking "hey still need a car?" To which I responded "nope I bought a car and moved to Indiana!" (which is true!). So I think you can expect spam from pretty much every dealership you give your contact info to.

Also, if you have a certain car you want, I would look up that car on KBB or at other dealerships in the area. You might can even e-mail other dealerships and ask for a quote on that car (saving you the hassle and personal commitment) and take that quote and/or KBB info into a dealership that you physically visit. I bet you they'd want to match that quote (assuming it's lower)! But the KBB info can work with you on your trade-in also.

Also, from what I've been told, at the end of the month and during holiday sales, salesmen want to reach certain quota and so are trying to get a better deal. Maybe the last weekend in October would be better? Or maybe that's just a myth that the dealers want us to believe haha.

Overall, though, I wouldn't say to give business to dealerships where you had a bad experience.

• 1 month later...

I learned this from reading an article online, and it worked out really well for me when I bought my current car a few years ago, when you go into a dealership, act disinterested in the car you are actually interested in and act like you have a couple of other options lined up. Showing disinterest in the car will cause the salesman to work with you a little more to flex to your terms. If you actually show that you like the car, then they know they have you and they can sucker you to buy it at the price they want you to buy it at.

On October-18-15 at 9:54 PM, DailyDi said:

Thinking about upgrading my car. Do not really NEED to, but there could be benefits to my credit rebuilding process and I'm in a good window where my car is worth a few thousand more than what I owe on it.

Had two horrible dealership experiences that drove me nearly to the edge with my mental illness. I'm used to the annoying games and haggling of buying a car, but this went too far.

First place is claiming an "error" on their website, causing the car I came in for to actually be 5 grand more than what they are advertising - and he quickly showed me the disclaimer that indeed says they are allowed to be wrong (lie even) on their website. Even after the obvious bait and switch I tried to reach a deal on the car, but while the salesman was very helpful the manager on duty was a dick and spent his time trying to argue with me over the "error" and the "true value" of my trade instead of trying to reach a deal. Obviously I walked, after demanding FIVE TIMES to get my keys back.

Second dealer I talked to on the phone, explained I did not want to play games, and confirmed what my trade would be worth in advance and what monthly payment I considered to be my max.

For me , it always has to be the right car at the right price. I am not an impulse buyer when it comes to most things. I never go in with a "I have to have it today" attitude.

I walked out on 3 different dealers who didn't make the right deal, but finally ended up with a great deal on a new Jeep Renegade which I am loving!

• Like 1

Been there, but not to that extent. Even after haggling for three full hours on the price of the Jeep I wanted to buy, and my trade in amount, the dealer kept adding in an extra payment to my plan that kept coming up $500 more than we had already agreed upon. After another 30 minutes of this, I jut got up and started to walk out the door. Interestingly enough that extra payment went away really quick.

You're right. We do set the price, but wow do they have a LOT of tricks to bullying you into thinking you don't.

• 1 month later...

Wether buying new or used best time to buy a car is "end of model year" every car from the previous year costs them real estate to get in new cars,and every year older a used car gets by not selling on the lot is costing them money value rarely increases on cars,and as far as warrantees 5 feet or five seconds which ever comes first now allow me to pass and moan about something .