LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Plastic pants over disposable diapers, necessary?

Is it necessary to wear plastic pants over disposable diapers if you are incontinent?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Is it necessary to wear plastic pants over disposable diapers if you are incontinent?

• Yes, always
    • Sometimes
    • No

Plastic or rubber pants aren't intended to contain moisture over time; only long enough for the diaper to absorb it. A plastic-backed disposable will not absorb from the outside, so they will do little good here, save for as beallucanb says- an indicator of diaper leakage so you can do something about that. Over cloth-like backed disposables the idea may have merit. As 'insurance' against pinholes and rips in the backing they can work, but I've never had that problem and I'm a very active person at work. My stored changes are always from a tested bag so if it ever does happen to me, it will go no further :)

I think the real solution is to find a diaper which works well for you, learn how it feels when nearing it's limits, and to change either before then or when you feel that happen. If you push the limits to the point where plastic panties can make a difference then you are pushing too far. Better to try to avoid problems than try to handle them when you don't need to ;)

Bettypooh

• Like 1

I mainly use plastic pants on top of my disposable to help cut down odor issues, I usually wear a pretty heavy combo for everyday work situations. At the end of the day, when being in a fairly wet diaper (+8 hours) plastic pants and babypowder inside the diaper makes sure that no one smells my wet diaper. Also as a sort of last defend against leaks, since I can put paper or a thin absorbant pad in between my diaper and plasticpants to absorb any leaks from the diaper until I get home and are able to change into a clean diaper.

i voted sometimes

i only voted this way because of these reasons for why you might need plastic pants over a disposable diaper

1. if you might leek before you will have a chance to change

I never do, and am a urinary incontinent male who wears 24/7.

I have never found any that are comfortable for me, though some of this may be due to being a full-time permanent wheelchair user and consequently sat in a reasonably fixed position for long periods of time (conversely though, have found that "cloth backed" nappies irritate my legs). Additionally, I only have a relatively average sized two-bedroom flat, and I'm not running heating just to dry plastic pants on radiators visible for all to see.

However, I also use the best nappies that I can source at present, which are currently Abriform X-Plus medium (plastic backed, sourced via import) and through a long process of experimnentation have determined the usual length of time I can go before changing (and avoiding leaks) though this depends on how I am in terms of my health on any given day, and what I'm doing (e.g. general hanging around the flat vs. out drinking late with friends).

Different people obviously have different experiences and requirements, and yes I do leak occasionally... If I'm drinking frequently and haven't changed in a while, or if I fall asleep on a bus and forget (as happened around a month ago), but no preventative method is entirely certain, short perhaps of spending the entire day, literally, sat on a toilet.

I do as well. Well, PUL pants any ways. Like the others have said, no diaper is 100% leak proof. And while it's true that a diaper cover won't do anything to absorb a leak, it most certainly will help you to notice that leak before it becomes noticeable to those around you. I've also found that I can never guarantee if/when I will leak either. As such, I most often wear a diaper cover when leaks could be disastrous to my current productivity.

During the day, I'd say that plastic pants are not essential, assuming you've found a disposable diaper that consistently works well for you. However, at night, disposable diapers almost always leak; especially, if you're a side sleeper like me.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned a number of years ago, that -for me- my diapers split when I was wearing a size too small. With a properly fitted diaper I have not had it happen even once. According to most diaper manufacturer's partial recommendations, and from others that told me;

When Attends first came out, the absorbent fluff was heat welded in along lines from front to back to keep the fluff from moving about.