LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Dumb windows update

One thing I have always hated about windows update is it messes things up on your computer when it updates. I just had my computer fixed so windows was reinstalled because the program was damaged due to a virus and today it decided to do a windows update again when it already had yesterday and things were still normal. But this time everything was gone, all my cookies and background image and my files where my stories are and my new chapter I had been working on, all gone. That made me regret letting my windows update. Then I decided to plug in my external hardrive and sure enough all my files were still there but I lost part of my work to chapter 35 but that can easily be re written. Always good to have back up folks for incidents like this.

Windows updates shouldn't have any effect on your system in regards to files and data. You should be happy to have those patches as they help deal with exploits in the operating system. If you have missing files I would suspect end user error or hard drive failure. Another thing you could do is use an application like Recuva and attempt to recover any deleted files.

• Like 1

Ha, you should try it on a server then. Our work server is always going down thanks to windows updates. It sometimes even prevents our backups from running properly. All this easily leads to lost data from time to time.

Windows can and will create conflicts when it updates, especially with third party programs that aren't registered and certified by M$.

My first thought would be for the novice or even those that think they are a advanced user, disallow windows updates within settings. If your happy with the way windows runs at any given time, set a restore point. Then if you want to see what the update entails allow it to install with a manual update by you. If no problems are detected, set another restore point and so on. :) Also if you have a external hard drive connect it now and then if it isn't already and do windows backups to it. If it is connected all the time, allow all files and such to load to it instead of the main drive.

Well the only thing I lost were the pictures but not my family ones. Good thing I copied my files to my computer from the external hardive or all my writings would have been gone except for what I had posted online so far or shared with two people online in PM. I have thought about restoring it but decided not to.

Guest YoungZeppelin

I love windows but i heard that they r stopping 7 support soon.. so year M$ is gonna see a huge drop in professional puter peeps business

I love windows but i heard that they r stopping 7 support soon.. so year M$ is gonna see a huge drop in professional puter peeps business

You must be confused. Its windows xp that's finally sunsetted as of Aprils this year. Windows 7 will be around a while.

I shall keep this computer for back up whenever my new computer is in the shop so I wouldn't have to borrow my parents. I also found my other files lol, they were under Computer and under local dsk and then user and admin and then there were all the files. Darn, these settings are weird. I have never seen a computer do this with files after the update.

Wacko... The only thing that irked me about 8 and 8.1 was I couldn't use it. Whats worse is I have a Alienware M17R3(Very Nice Gaming laptop) and for the price I paid I would think any O/S would be supported but Alienware failed me. If I had waited 6 months and bought the M17r4 edition I would have been able to upgrade and the sad part is all the features and specs or identical! I MEAN everything from 2tb raid0( I know bad but my shits backup on) 32gbs of ram, twin 6800 series gpus and i7/mobo yet for in their infinite wisdom they wont release or update patches to upgrade. Now I did a upgrade to 8 and after a day of installing this twik and that hack it worked. Fine and dandy. 8.1 one comes out and my wife is digging it on her tablet and laptop. I go to upgrade... fucking blue screen... repeatedly! Needless to say my PC is out of date... I want the latest and greatest but I will be okay with 7... rant over...

How is Windows 8 any different? I have never used it yet and I don't update computers often by buying a new one every time Windows comes out.

Honestly, I use 8 and it's an absolute joy to use. That might be because my setup is more conducive to 8's strong points (better dual screen support being one of the big ones).

Yeah probably the best thing about the change from 8 to 8.1 is that in the Windows store, there is actually a search function now. How was that not part of the store before? But the thing that got me in 8.1 was that the options that you get when you side-swipe (bottom right corner) in desktop mode are different than the options you get in the start screen. In 8 both results were the same.

Yeah probably the best thing about the change from 8 to 8.1 is that in the Windows store, there is actually a search function now. How was that not part of the store before? But the thing that got me in 8.1 was that the options that you get when you side-swipe (bottom right corner) in desktop mode are different than the options you get in the start screen. In 8 both results were the same.

You bought Dellware, pardon, Alienware... you poor poor man. Alienware is nothing but overpriced Dell garbage now, there are many much better products out there for the price. Why would you want Windows 8 anyways? It's an absolute PITA to use.

Dell may have bought alienware but if you look at the components its not over priced. For what I paid for mine I would have spent nearly the same amount building a home version if I could build a laptop and to say its dell is someone that clearly hasn't dealt with alienware. I can't call dell support and get alienware help for my warranty or trouble shooting. What sold me was I had my power supply go out and no one has a 240watt power adapter for my laptop. They early morning UPS 7am another one at their expensive. That's customer service.

As far as 8.1 goes. I work in the IT field love the latest and greatest technology. Hence why I wanted to install it on my laptop because once its in the wild I will have a CEO or CFO come into my office with their new device asking questions and telling someone you don't know about this or that feature in my office would be a death sentence.

But that's my 2 cents but if you can show me another laptop with a 17inch screen, 32gbs of ram, 2 GPUs, 2tbs of storage with I7 please do. Ive looked. Closest I found was some cheaper INeedPower brands and some of the HP voodoo line.

• 4 weeks later...

I somehow lost my pictures and they are not under admin under my computer. I wonder what happened. At least they weren't family pictures or my stories. I decided to back them up anyway to the external hard drive before doing another windows update. Also my recycle bin seemed to have emptied itself. I remember it had bunch of stuff in it and it was only one file. Oh well the photos weren't import and and they were all from online. But my stories are still under admin. Just weird.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't say it's bad per say, but I ask you to ponder something.... IF Microsoft makes Windows, and they make MSE as well, and windows requires a Anti-Virus, why don't they just fix windows? Perhaps they left the door open for something they don't want you to know about? :huh: I know in my line of work most people use windows, but always stay away from most of the stuff that comes within. The browsers and video and audio tools are basic at best. I know people go with what they know or are used to, but sometimes it pays to do a bit of research. I have mentioned it before, but I have come over to fix peoples computers and run multiple scans with different software's and routinely find 100-200 viruses they didn't even know they had. I then put aftermarket security on their systems. Who is right, who knows? Just my experience so far. :)