LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Cloth Noobie Help Needed

Cloth diapers work excellently so I'm not sure what the problem is :huh: Thickness matters- it takes several layers of cloth with the usual starting at 4 for better absorbency. That is just the main body, in the center you'll want at least that many more- full crotch width (say 4"+), and at least nearly from end to end. If it widens where it can that's good :) Material can be almost any natural fiber- blends and man-made fabrics other than microfiber don't fare so well :(

One thing that I have done is get some cheaper hand towels and use those as soakers. They are a little cheaper than cloth baby diapers and for those needing to conceal their diaper life, few people are going to get suspicious if they see a bunch of hand towels.

I forgot to add: I pre-washed everything 3 times in hot water using Charlie's Soap, followed by an extra rinse cycle. By now, most have been through 2-3 add'l wash cycles.

My family has been using gauze and Birdseye cotton diapers since the early 1900's. The method of getting new cotton diapers ready for first use has not changed in over 50 years, before I was born, but after the introduction of DREFT.

For the most thorough reviews of rubber panties. do them

From your description, the leakage seems to be from the leg area ;) This is where wetness will pool when sitting which is what you express as the main problem time. Tucking the legs of the cover in does take a bit of fiddling around and a large enough size cover, but it can be effective in stopping leaks as you describe them. The downside of tucking at the legs is that it can leave a line of bulkiness which may show under clothing. The cover should be tight against the skin at the legs, but not so tight as to leave marks on the skin lasting more than maybe ten minutes after removal. Any lasting irritation at an opening often means it is too tight and you need a larger size. This kind of leak can also occur when the sitting motion stretches or pulls the cover, moving the leg openings out of position. Tight pants can cause this to happen as well.

Wow that's hard to belive there. I have been in cloth diapers my whole life. That's 64 years of diaper wearing. I use a good flannel that my wife made me. There 2 layers to the outside and a 12" x by 2 layers of terry cloth from the front to the back. Then I use comco plastic panties over that for day time use. For night I use a pre-fold 4 layers thick with a 12" x 3 layers of terry down the middle with the same panties. I have never had a leak at night with these combinations. Let me know what and were you get your supplies.

I think you've found your answer :) With the legs of the cover so low, any liquid that seeped or made it past the diaper had puddled there and leaked. Since it was lower than the diaper it couldn't be re-absorbed. This may have also contributed to your friction rash as the urine reacted with the damaged skin :(

I have a couple flannel diapers from Kins also.... I did have a few leaks with the flannel diapers that I have not had with gauze diapers, especially when sitting. I noticed that the urine seemed to pool up in one spot with the flannel diaper, where as the urine would "wick out" to a larger area with the gauze diapers.

One thing to consider is that while flannel diapers have a large capacity, their harder surface (when compared to gauze or birdseye) makes them slower to absorb. So, if you normally flood the diaper, you'll frequently end up with a puddle of urine in the crotch of the pants until the diaper can gradually absorb it. If the plastic pants are too loose, you could have leaks. The pants need to fit close enough to make sure the liquid stays in contact with the diaper until it can be fully absorbed.

Microfleece and suedecloth are both 100% polyester with slightly different knit patterns. Both are thin and thus work well to pass liquid quickly through them. They wick well which is why they are attributed to being the cloth version of a "stay dry lining". My experience with them is from PUL pocket style diapers. They don't absorb (hold) much, but they wick through very quickly.