LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Writer's Block

I'm a frustrated writer. By that I mean I have and have had a seemingly permanent case of 'writer's block' for quite some time. I have several ideas for stories both ABDL and non-ABDL but find myself unable to put words to what forms so easily in my mind.

So my question to those who write more frequently: what helps with your writer's block?

I find music is a great stimulant for when I need to start writing. Something with good rhythm gets my creative juices flowing.

Also, sometimes my ideas aren't strong enough for an actual story, but only trying to write them out will tell me if I've got something solid. And sometimes when I'm in the middle of writing an idea, I get more ideas in the process on where I can build on the plot or develop character.

Don't try to force ideas to come to you; that's the key. A great story idea can hit you when you least expect it, so be prepared. Personally, I'm going through some hefty discouragement with my mainstream writing because I haven't been able to land an agent. My AB/DL writing is just on hold until I get another good idea that I feel confident will make a good story. Good luck coming up with a new idea. I hope it is something fulfilling to you and your readers.

So my question to those who write more frequently: what helps with your writer's block?

Flow charts. After having been stuck for nearly a year on the rewrite of my novel, my wife finally sat me down and forced me to think in terms of plot flow charts. We wrote them down exactly as such - and the result was, we came up with a very organized path for me to get from where I am to where I need to be in the story. Translation - the movie is once again rolling in my head when I sit down to write that story.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Isaac Asimovs three axims of writing bear repeating here:

Write every day

Finish what you write

Send it in

Begin by writing out your ideas. Spend an hour every day actually writing, but no more. Once you have the ideas down, write out the opening paragraph. One new paragraph each day. Don't be afraid to revise anything.

Spend an hour every day actually writing, but no more. Once you have the ideas down, write out the opening paragraph. One new paragraph each day. Don't be afraid to revise anything.

• 7 years later...
On 12/23/2012 at 11:03 PM, JDL23 said:

I find music is a great stimulant for when I need to start writing. Something with good rhythm gets my creative juices flowing.

Also, sometimes my ideas aren't strong enough for an actual story, but only trying to write them out will tell me if I've got something solid. And sometimes when I'm in the middle of writing an idea, I get more ideas in the process on where I can build on the plot or develop character.

I agree, when I get stuck I will start a short story to get the juices flowing then I'm good on my longer stories for a while. 

I've found three things help my writer's block.

In no particular order.

1.  Deadlines.  Gotta keep writing if someone is counting on you to finish.
2. Money. Much easier to force yourself to write when you need money.
3. Multiple stories.  You get bored or stuck writing one thing, go write another.

6 hours ago, Personalias said:

I've found three things help my writer's block.

In no particular order.

1.  Deadlines.  Gotta keep writing if someone is counting on you to finish.
2. Money. Much easier to force yourself to write when you need money.
3. Multiple stories.  You get bored or stuck writing one thing, go write another.

All 3 of those are probably true-which is why somebody like me who has no intention to make any money of writing can get stuck.  I've had a project that I've been working on since August- and it's been two weeks since I updated the story- despite having it mostly written well beyond my updates.  It's tough to update when your doing it solely for yourself.

4 hours ago, spark said:

All 3 of those are probably true-which is why somebody like me who has no intention to make any money of writing can get stuck.  I've had a project that I've been working on since August- and it's been two weeks since I updated the story- despite having it mostly written well beyond my updates.  It's tough to update when your doing it solely for yourself.

Don't misunderstand.  You've still GOT to write something that you like.  It's just that it's much easier to get over creative malaise when you either have multiple plates spinning (to keep your interest through the drudgery) OR you've got someone tangibly waiting for you to finish. 

14 hours ago, Personalias said:

Don't misunderstand.  You've still GOT to write something that you like.  It's just that it's much easier to get over creative malaise when you either have multiple plates spinning (to keep your interest through the drudgery) OR you've got someone tangibly waiting for you to finish. 

I was mostly responding to the first 2.    SInce I'm only writing for personal enjoyment, I don't have push to get me through the block- like a deadline or money.   I would figure out what to write if I had to write- but in this case- I don't have to write.  SInce I don't have to write- i end up with long stops in projects and a lot of projects that get 3/4 finished.

Oh, I loathe writer's block. Even when I'm busy/ productive it can hit like a runaway semi hitting a brick wall. I care about the quality of my stories- I try my best to make them engaging via an interesting plot and fun characters instead of cutting back on effort, rushing myself, and churning out hot garbage. Some things I've found helpful when I hit writer's block and don't know what to happen next are to go back and reread the story. I pay attention to the physical and emotional plots- things like what's going on, and why. What are the character conflicts? (With each other, and with themselves).  From there I'll play the "what if" game if I have no idea what direction to go in, "what if X happens? What's the worst thing that could happen- and should I put that in? Does it flow with the overall arc of the piece?"  Or if I know how I want the story to end, I figure out how to get from point C to Z.