LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

American Psychiatric Association Removes "gender Identity Disorder"

Yes, and while most welcome the change it does have it's ramifications. Without the "disorder" wording, my state will no longer offer free job training and free job placement assistance for TG's :( Some insurance companies may drop prescription, medical, and surgical cost coverage for TG's- at this point nobody knows which way that trend will go :o Time will tell, but the best situation will be when they delete the section entirely, acknowledging (as they did with Homosexuality) that there is nothing wrong with these people- we are as "normal" as everyone else B) Till I see that happen I will fight for it :ph34r:

There has been a lot of pre-publication discussion of these changes, and even a lot of insider info that was leaked out. The end result was that a few reviewers were reassigned to other sections, a few who remained there were informed to 'chill out' on their proposed wording, and a couple of the worst ones getting their professional hands slapped rather harshly by their colleagues :lol: If we keep trying, maybe we can get us out of the next DSM altogether.

Bettypooh their colleagues

IIRC weren't they changing it to 'Gender Dysphoria'?

And I highly doubt removing it from the DSM entirely would be a good idea - listing Gender Dysphoria as the problem allows open avenues for proper, regulated assistance and it knows where the focus is.

The proper course of medical action for Transexualism is well known and almost universally agreed upon, with a well-validated history os success. Thus I do not think there would be any changes in treatment were there to be no mention in the DSM. Remember the "D" stands for "Diagnostic", which is the aim of the manual ;) The book does not go much into actual treatments, which are left up to the practitioners who are working with the patients. The motivation to change the wording this time around was to try to remove any stigma which people might associate with the word "disorder" <_< The term "Dysphoria" is a more exact and proper definition in this instance. If there is to ever be no stigma involved, it will happen only when there is no reference to the matter in the DSM, as it does not refer to things which the medical community deems to be 'normal' B)That's why I would like to see this subject gone from that book.

Bettypooh

"Gender Dysphoria", while it is not really a disease, any more than homosexuality, diaper loving, adult babying, or any of the other social-distress causing non-vanilla sexual desires and proclivities, can and will continue to cause those that exprience it significant distress and anxiety.

That distress deserves appropriate treatment -- help in understanding that the mind involved is simply wired that way and that the mind so wired is not being evil or has anything wrong with it when experiences and/or acts on and enjoys its "strange" (as far as the usual vanilla public sexuality is concerned) needs.

I include various forms of gender re-assignment, both surgical and less drastic within my scope of appropriate treatment.

I think the situation deserves a new name -- maybe presentation sexuality dysphoria -- to describe the phenomenon of not being distressed with the difference between one's sexuality/gender needs and what one perceives to be publically acceptable in ones social environment.

I can certainly say that Daily Diapers has helped me significantly with becoming more comfortable with my diaper desires...but I also promise you that I don't think more than a few folks at work would accept knowing I wore diapers for comfort and sexual needs only.

you could just as easily diagnose someone with an 'adjustment' disorder who is experiencing any distress or turmoil over their gender, or sexuality...

I don't think being transgendered is a psychiatric disorder, but do agree like anything related to identity it can cause a person much stress and distress and that person may need some treatment to come to accept themself and learn healthy coping skills.

I wish adjustment disorder was used more often as adjustment dis. is often used for those who are experiencing situational or 'short' term distress due to some stressor... and for example of gender, once a person has realized their feelings and found healthy ways to be themself... they may no longer have adjustment issues .....

• Like 1

I had to click 'like' on Sarah's response here- it is exactly where my path in life took me. I still have issues when it comes to dealing with my gender, but they no longer cause me great stress, interfering with my daily life as they once did :DThe real cause of those problems was never in me, but in a society that makes demands that everyone be either 'male' or 'female' based on what is between their legs, not in who they really are :bash: We push this on our children from the start, making them 'pink' or 'blue', never letting them have a chance to be whoever they are until it's too late and they end up needing help to achieve this or worse- gender dysphoric people have one of the highest suicide rates of any group. The larger world is guilty of driving them there but refuses to accept their culpability. Yet society says that this is the proper way to rear children if you really love them and that somehow it is good for them. :crybaby:

That is the reason I want the entire section about gender gone from the DSM as a way to tell the world that gender disparities are normal, but the world at large is not seeing this truth <_< It is getting better for us, but there is still so far to go that I know I will never see they day when I can freely be myself without serious repercussions from the larger numbers of people who do have a problem but will not address it, thinking they are somehow sane when they obviously aren't :P

A simple proof: If I wore a skirt to work today I could do my job just as well, just as safely, and just as productively and I'd feel happier. Thus I can see no wrong if I did this, yet if I did this I would likely be fired or bashed by the rest of the people whose teeny, unhappy brains would be disrupted.. I would be blamed as causing their problems. I would be the one who suffered from their wrongness, while they would be the ones who felt they had to bash someone; they would be the ones whose minds could not stay on their work and not someone else's business that has nothing to do with them whatsoever; they would be the ones losing productivity and lacking the attention workplace safety requires. They are obviously the ones needing help with their mental processes, not me!

And somehow, people think this is not a symptom of their own mental problems, but that there is something wrong with me anyway :screwy: Yes, it is truly time for the medical world to do it's job and tell the world that it has caused the continuation of the real problem and that the mal-adjusted ones are not gender dysphoric :ph34r:

Bettypooh

• Like 1

If asked i identify myself as a heterosexual female. but, there have been times in my life when I have acted, dressed and presented myself in what is considered a more 'masculine' way... And I have been in relationships where i was the more stereotypical masculine person.

I briefly (about 5 minutes one night) considered the possibility i was 'transgendered' when i was 19 or 20, but than realized, I enjoyed being female, loved my female form, and just at times was more comfortable in clothes western society considers 'male' or acting in a manner western society considers masculine.

And that was my brief encounter with questioning my 'gender.' I just act how i feel comfortable in any given situation, dress how i feel comfortable (ok at times i'm not entirely comfortable in certain shoes, but they go with the outfit!) read books, watch tv shows, and play with toys and games that make me happy, whether or not the world considers them masculine, feminine or neither!

I have friends who identify on a broad spectrum of gender.... and while many of them had times where they were struggling with their 'identity' often though not their own internal feelings for they knew what those were, but rather with how others view them or treated them because of it...

Maybe there should be a diagnosis for those like bettypooh were talking about who are the ones who really have the problem with gender! not hte people who know how they identify, but the people who can't handle it!!! it could be "gender denial disorder."

I was born female, but I always wanted to be a boy all my life. It took 3 years to get any help for me before the Psycho-sexual Psychotherapist would see me. By then I had been living as a boy for 2 years, and after another 2 years of seeing the shrink I was eventually put on hormones when I was 22.

I have had Sex Reassignment Surgery, I had my name changed, and now I am a boy.

The amount of problems caused by Gender Dysphoria often are related to two simple things. Lack of Acceptance and Understanding and lack of Time.

Problem there is both are connected, Doctors do not want to treat you because they don't understand so they make up extravagant waiting lists.

I posted this to let everyone talk about it even though I am Transgender myself. I live with a lg mother who is Transsexual. She can not afford the pills right now she needs because of being disable. If she had the money she would have gone through with the surgery, but we barely survive as it is. Part of our life is a struggle because as much as I embrace myself on my Transgender issues it is a reminder to her sometimes of were she fully isn't.

For me I do not have a diaper fetish, but I am closer to the younger side of things with my Transgenderism due to the fact I didn't have a childhood as a girl. I wanted to be younger so I could be around a mother influence and have those feelings that all children have growing up as a girl. I fully do not think I could function if I was thrown into the adult life of a woman without first being a little girl. I want to someday go through the pills and surgery, but do not know if I will ever get there because I am still going to be on the younger side. I can't get out of being a kid for some reason. I just miss not having that life that a girl has. I want to stay a little girl forever which complicates my Transgenderism because even though I could have the surgery I still can't go out as that little girl I want to be. The main reason I want the surgery is because I want to feel as real to being a girl when I'm changing into clothes and everything. I try not to hate my life and find the balance, but I do dislike my body I was born with because it isn't me. I do not care what they call me I just know I'll never be a fully adult woman and I'll never be a man because I'm just a little girl truly and forever. I just want to be a girl.

I am with sarah and betty here:

The real issue isnt what is felt or needed by the individual, whether fetish, wrong body, or a need to be a child part time. ( and by the way, Michael Jackson is the worst example of this I can think of). It is the very real fears and the very real social rejection that arises with such non-normative behavior. I would also argue that like any other behavior, it can also get out of hand, and that is also a problem.

By way of example, suppose I had a green bean obsession, and was uncomfortable unless I had a green bean sticking out from my lips. I think you would argue that I had some kind of psychiatric problem, given that I couldn't stop, and it was interfering with things like my day job, since I kept getting my pay docked for running to the grocery for my supply.

I would also suggest that my boss had a diagnosable psychiatric problem if he wanted to fire me merely for my green bean obsession.

unfortunately, my actual green bean problem is that I am not currently tolerating them...even though I like to eat them.