LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What Kills A Story For You?

This is mainly a question to help me with a current project, but I think it's pretty useful/important for any writing, and especially writing of this style (since there is a smaller audience and no quality control, so finding good stories is really hard.)

So, when you are reading a story, what things ruin it for you? Not nescessarily to the point of stopping and skipping it, just the kind that make you more likely too.

For me, my top three would have to be (in no particular order):

Stupid main characters. Obvious one, don't make them a dumbass just so they are easier to trick.

Un-realistic anything. It's okay if your universe follows a different set of rules, but stick to those rules! And, in real world settings especially, make people act realistically towards your character.

Lastly, bad grammar. Great writing style you may have, but if I can't tell whether you want to eat grandma or have dinner with her, you should work on that.

So, what else (if anything) ruins stories for you?

• Like 2

Stories that start with an information dump.

Stories where it's always obvious what's going to happen next. I don't mind cliche done well, but even an uber-cliched story should have a couple unexpected twists to keep things lively.

Plots that revolve around diapers and using them. I prefer it when diapers are part of a broader plot that includes non-ABDL elements.

Grammar that's bad enough to make the story incomprehensible or ruin its flow.

Prepubescent boys who are forced back into diapers and end up liking them.

Gay/sissy/furry anything.

Baby-talk.

Its all about the writing style.

If they write in a way that is just a run on sentance and it keeps going and going and i cant read it it really bothers me because it is impossible to understand what the author is really trying to say and frankly it is just annoying and its evn worse when they cant speel anything right and u cant undrestand it.

Sorry...I hope I made my point ;)

It's all about the characters for me.

If there isn't even one of your characters can't pass the Star Wars original trilogy test, then it's less interesting.

The SWot test goes like this.

Name the character: Now after reading everything available about that character, tell me about that character WITHOUT describing what that character looks like or what they specifically do in the movie.

Example: Han Solo- Dashing rogue, devil may care attitude, doesn't like to show that he has feelings. (pass)

C3PO- Kind of prissy. Uppity. Wants to be helpful, but really isn't most times. (pass)

Jar-Jar Binks- Um...annoying to the audience? Cartoon rabbit that talks like a stereotypical Jamaican...I think that's what it's supposed to be anyways? (fail)That is to say, I hope at least ONE of the characters, preferably the main one, passes the test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obviously, bad grammar and spelling errors would make any story difficult. But specifically, for stories I read on this site, I can tell within the first few lines. A good story shouldn't spell out every single detail of the protagonist in the first five sentences. How a character looks, unless it's essential to the plot, should otherwise be left up to the audience's imagination. Also, I lose interest when the story moves along at an awkward pace or when there's no conflict. The stories I like--both to read and to write--will try to stretch things out, build up suspense or introduce character development.

It shouldn't just be, "And then he was in diapers and loved it and she was his Mommy forever and ever!1!!" Our fantasies might work like that, but our stories aren't just daydreams. They're glimpses into someone else's life, even if that person is fictional or inspired by someone in real life.

Fan fiction. Make up your own characters please. For me even the most shallowly drawn original character is better than fan fiction.

Please don't start your story with a list of characters and descriptions. Have you ever read a book that did this?

I'm not under the delusion that our pervy little stories are supposed to be art but I don't think anybody wants to slog through several dozen identical descriptions of diaper changes. Some sort of narrative helps a lot.

Girls as protagonists. Why are all the stories about girls these days? Did [That site] just sour everybody on everything else? I like to identify with the main character. I'm glad people can get what they want, so I'm not criticizing, It just aint my cup of tea.

First, horrible writing, formatting and spelling ruin it for me. I understand typos, I make typos, typos happen. I understand a lot of this stuff is first or second draft but when the whole thing is painful to read, it loses me quick.

Overtly and continuous gay/lesbian content turns me off. I know I've written some but I felt it was part of a dom/sub relationship of otherwise straight characters so I give myself a pass on that. ;)

Anything completely AB and fantasy regression is a turn off. I like a little playful AB-ish content from time to time but I can't read the full on "baby now and forever" stories. I like it when adults are forced to mentally endure it rather than physically change by magic.

However, I will say, it takes all kinds and my kind of story isn't for everyone and stories I don't like probably have a big following. These are just preferences and everybody has them.

the right balance of information..... don't pulla stephen king and spend too much time detailing w creaky floorboard.....

also, how about the writing being so poor that the reader knows what is going to happen next.

Stories that start with an information dump.

Stories where it's always obvious what's going to happen next. I don't mind cliche done well, but even an uber-cliched story should have a couple unexpected twists to keep things lively.

Plots that revolve around diapers and using them. I prefer it when diapers are part of a broader plot that includes non-ABDL elements.

Grammar that's bad enough to make the story incomprehensible or ruin its flow.

Prepubescent boys who are forced back into diapers and end up liking them.

Baby-talk.

Eliminated the only one I don't agree with, but this is a great list right here.

Eliminated the only one I don't agree with, but this is a great list right here.

Thanks. For the one you eliminated, I should have made it clear that was personal preference. I don't think there's anything wrong with gay or furry stories, they're just not my cup of tea.

Thanks. For the one you eliminated, I should have made it clear that was personal preference. I don't think there's anything wrong with gay or furry stories, they're just not my cup of tea.

Completely understood - was just making the point that I eliminated one item from the list before I called it a "good" list - because everything else in that list is about story mechanics, which are important.

Well, what kills a story for me , along with the bad grammar, poor spelling ,and sometimes totally implausible plots is the continuity with some stories. Now I understand that the real world, meatspace whatever you call it happens to pull us away from time to time. I get that. My life is wicked busy. Please though if you can help it, let the audience know if your'e going to be away for awhile. Otherwise it just smacks of abandonment to me. That kills it because it's like good sex vs teasing. If you work the person your'e with up and up and then suddenly leave, well not to be vulgar here, but those are some of the bluest balls i have seen lol. Sorry should have posted a disclaimer that my reply was going to be a tad explicit. Oh well. I throw caution to the wind, oh my brothers and sisters . :)

Well, what kills a story for me , along with the bad grammar, poor spelling ,and sometimes totally implausible plots is the continuity with some stories. Now I understand that the real world, meatspace whatever you call it happens to pull us away from time to time. I get that. My life is wicked busy. Please though if you can help it, let the audience know if your'e going to be away for awhile. Otherwise it just smacks of abandonment to me. That kills it because it's like good sex vs teasing. If you work the person your'e with up and up and then suddenly leave, well not to be vulgar here, but those are some of the bluest balls i have seen lol. Sorry should have posted a disclaimer that my reply was going to be a tad explicit. Oh well. I throw caution to the wind, oh my brothers and sisters . :)

As a writer, my problems are often inverse of this; if nobody responds, I assume nobody is reading them (after all, there's no way to check how many people actually read it,) and I tend to get frustrated and bored by my stories. As opposed to blueballing (to continue your metaphor,) its more like foreplay from one person while the other sits there and stares with glassy eyes...

Magical Tranformations - You know when a character, usually a teenager leaves the house one morning and comes home only to find that their parents had somehow;

1) packed up their bedroom

2) Removed all the furniture

3) Found a place to store said furniture (or thrown it away in a manner that otherwise does not tip off the protagonist that their room had been ransacked)

4) Painted or wallpapered the room as a nursery

5) Sourced and installed baby furniture for a 12 lb infant that can support a 120 lb teenager.

6) Unpacked the contents of the room

7) Purchased a wardrobe full of teen age sized diapers and baby clothes.

Horrible Dialog

If you learn no other writing skills, please learn to write decent dialog.

I yelled at her that I am not baby and I dont like diapers and then she changed me and saw my erect penuses and siad you do like diapers and I said I did after I got a spanking.

is no where near as good as the following :)

"I'm no Baby!" I screamed at her before grabbing my crotch and finishing "And I don't like diapers either."

"We'll see about that" She purred, pushing me down onto the changing pad.

Embarrassed I stared at the ceiling, hearing each tape rip as she pulled them. No sooner had I heard the fourth tape and felt the cool air over my nethers than I heard her gasp.

"What the fuck! You have more than one penis! Wow! Penises. Wow! How?" The smoldering sexiness of her bedroom voice had been replaced with the wonder of child seeing an ice cream truck for the first time that summer.

"Well it said so in the bad example above, see there where it says 'penuses'?" I explained to her tiring of the stupid example even as I said it.

Poor attention to detail

It's one thing if your story had it's own internal logic, or it's own mythology, but if you are going to violate the rules of common sense then explain that shit. See magical transformations. Parents, lovers, teachers, etc can't just pop off to Walmart and buy a changing table for someone above the size of an average toddler. Similarly most grown ups can't wear Pampers or Huggies, and chances are you're not going to get 'thick' or decent diapers at store. And this is by far not a constant or anything, but I would say it is safe to assume that in general most people do not do the following

a) Automatically poop or pee in a diaper simply becuase they are wearing it. Diapers sadly do not confer magical incontinence on those who wear them, so please skip the character who has never worn a diaper before, but suddenly after being placed in one, they poop it uncontrollably.

B) Most middle aged women are probably not wishing they had an entire cadre of children beyond the normal diaper age to clean up after regularly. If only there was a way they could handle more feces in their day to day lives they must wisfully think.

c) The normal reaction of a parent, when finding out their child was diapered at a sleep over, you know 'just in case' is not to say 'well that certainly sounds like a good idea, what we need is large expense like diapers for no other reason than 'just in case'

I think this horse is dead now....

• Like 3

Stories that are way too short only a paragraph long.

Very short chapters.

Furries

Men who are small and wear baby diapers

Erotic scenes and disgusting ones (eg. peeing in someone else's diaper and sucking the pee out of it)

Very very poor spelling and grammar

But then again it isn't black and white for me because I sometimes make exceptions.

We all have our turn ons and turn offs, so... The ones that don't appeal to me will make me move over to something else rather than finish reading. I'm not an AB or a sissy, I'm not into roleplaying or dressing up, so those things will make me move on.

I'm tired of stories where the main character is a "really pretty girl who's kinda small for her age", too, so. Yeah.

And then there's the quality issues. A lot of stories out there aren't written by people who care about writing. It's a sad fact. Far be it for me to judge too harshly; I haven't published anything here, but for something to be worth reading it has to be up to a certain standard. The plot has to be well thought through, the characters believable and refreshing and the grammar up to scratch.

Writing isn't just something you sit down and do one day, it takes time and practice. However many diaper changes you insert into the plot.

• Like 1

My biggest annoyance is when there's an extended scene of desperation that ends with the character making it to the bathroom and pooping in the toilet. I know others aren't as gung ho about messy diapers as I am, but if you're going to write about someone needing to poop real bad, the obvious expectation is that they eventually lose the battle and fill their diapers. If you don't like messy diapers then why even bring it up in the first place? It would be like reading a naughty story where a couple flirt with each other all night then right when you think things are going to heat up, they politely part ways and go home alone.

My personal opinion is that when I look for a diaper story online, the whole purpose is I want to read something that turns my crank and makes me want to play with myself. If I wanted a complex story arc with dynamic characters and an all-encompassing plot with non-ABDL elements, then I'd crack open a real book and read that. All these attempts to make stories about diapers into complex Sci-Fi novels or whatever are just terrible in my opinion. If you want to write novels, great! Write a novel and don't try to include any fetish elements that will limit your potential audience. If you just want to write a dirty story that makes people horny, great! Focus on that and don't try to conflate the two.

Along with eveything else, that was mentioned.

The stories, where the charactors' coversations all run together in one paragraph with no punctuations, so you can't tell who is doing the talking.

Such as:

don't do that John screamed.I don't like it. thats ok janey said I do like it and I am going to do it.

as apposed to:

"Don't do that." John screamed. "I don't like it.

"Thats ok." Janey said. "I do like it, and I am going to do it."

I'll refer to my best friend's blunt description of a so-called literary classic (this is coming from a person with degrees in Literature and British & American Literature who went on to teach Literature) :

"On page three, we are introduced to the grass. The main character in (this book) is the grass."

Unless for whatever-the-fuck-reason you are writing about personified grass, THE MAIN CHARACTER SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER BE THE GRASS!

I also dislike cookie cutter stories. I presume since being over the age of majority is a requirement for membership, that any poster here has taken enough Language Arts/English (or whatever your first language was) to be able to put a little of yourself into the story. If you care about what you put out there, it shows. Even if it's erotica- I mean, otherwise I could just Wikipedia "how to have sex" and be done with it.

Really, any scenario can be written well. Similarly, though, any situation can be written poorly.

Oh, but if your first word doesn't begin with a capital letter, not only will I instantly stop reading that story, but I am then unlikely to read anything else you write. The exception here would be stylized poetry, but I have yet to see that here.

What is a cookie cutter story?

The cliche story lines - teenager does (insert excuse), parents fly off handle and turn kid into overgrown infant, much fapping ensues...

Don't get me wrong, I like a good diaper humiliation story as much as the next guy, but if you're going to do it, either go somewhere no one else has gone or frame it in a different light. Exhex did a spectacular take on the "evil babysitter" motif a few months back that wasn't particularly well-received here. Shame, because it really was a great piece of writing.

Let me see...Not really a fan of furry or fan fiction either, but those have been mentioned...another thing that I don't care too much for is when a story inexplicably works in graphic homosexual content for the sake of humiliation. I'm not a homophobe, it's just not my thing. It's nice when an author lets the reader know that homosexual activity is on the horizon. Another thing that kind of takes me out of a story is an otherwise simple story that erupts into a huge and unbelievable conspiracy group. I understand that they are diaper fantasy stories, but really...clandestine groups bent on infantilizing the world's male population or extraterrestrials bent on the same global plan just come off as silly to me. Just my personal irks.

And you have a good point there, WBDaddy...however, I would have to say that for me, it all comes down to detail and writing. My favorite type of story has been done to death also, but I'm always open to reading another one if they're written well. My favorite cliche is a smaller guy being babied (forcibly or otherwise) by a much taller woman. Been done to death, but hey - things become cliche for a reason. ;)

it all comes down to detail and writing

Was kinda my point - if you're going to go down a well-traveled path, make sure you're at least trying to explore the edges and show us a different descriptive angle.

To me, cookie cutter stories are ones that don't have any originality. They're functionally and grammatically correct, but they read more like sample passages on a standardized test than anything anyone truly invested themselves in. They're just....blah.