LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Kiddie Food

Today, me and my boyfriend did the big food shop. I had pasta shapes with special shapes as a very little girl, and am still eating them at the age of 21! I still love picking out special shapes and choose the ones I like best-and I found out today they did HELLO KITTY shapes!! I also love the shapes of Disney Princesses, Tinkerbelle/Disney Fairies and Winnie the Pooh.

I don't know if these are produced out of the UK but I love them.

So, does anyone else like pasta shapes, or for that fact, any other kid-like food?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The A#1 kid food were hot dogs and hamburgers when I was little. The "shapes" did not come out until later.

The big thing was to connect foods, ESPECIALLY cereal, with other things, like Snap Crackle and Pop, Tony th Tiger, Major Jet et all. then the idea was to connect them to characeters, going back to old time radio. The ones that come to mind were Wheaties and Cheerios (the Lone Ranger since before I was born). Then came in-;ackage premiums. In the early TV era Kelloggs, General Mills and Post all sponsored Cowboy shows and moved into the Space Cadet shows. It was as the sponsor of Space Patrol that Ralston-Purina Chex became known in about 1952. then they started doing regular cerials prepared to be addtractive to children by pre-sweetening the, Sugar Frosted Flakes comes to mind with Tony the Tiger. Most "kid" cereials, like Frosted Flakes (now a generic term) and Sugar Jets were just adlut-style cereals with sugar and looked the part.

There were also the medical cereals like Special K and Product 19 that have become a booming industry lately as people eat Agenda more than food, like "natural" and "organic" (both of which have no clear definitions and are just a marketing scam for the gullible hypochondriacs who spend too much time in front of the boob toob) with the lates such scam being "gluten free" (which is only relevent to the tiny fraction of the populace that is wheat-allergic). Even granola, which goes back to the 1800's as a failed foodstuff only goes anywhere because it is sweetened and added to for palatability. In fact did you ever notice how all the "healthy" stuff tastes like weeds while anthing with taste will, supposledly kill you in 4 nano-secondes? This looks to me to have had its origins in religion, which it resembles in terms of being dour , bland and joyless (tasteless or worse)

The first scractch-built kids' ceral that I can think of was Trix in 1957, These were fruit flavored and fruit colored (red, orinage and yellow). By 1960 I was sick of them. Then came Cocoa Puffs, which were far more chocolaty than they have been over the last 25 years and that race started with things like Cocoa Krispies and Puffa Puffa Rice (Brwon Sugar) Apple Jacks and like that. Then came a strange phenomenon the tiemporary cereals that lasted maybe a year or so. The onlyone that has remained non-kid-friendly were the Quaker cereals: Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice tasted lik cardboard and Quaker Oats wes not for kids. The company did try to shine it's image by using Gabby Hayes and the "Shot from guns" slogan. The last kind cerial I had was about 7 years ago and I only tried it, and liked it; Princess Pink or somthing like that. . Iy had a pink fruity flavoring that ran into the milk: I would like to fand that one again. I would like Captain Crunch excpet that it chews up the inside of my mouth and has done so from day one. How come they never fixed that, I do not know. They had some clever ideas like Peanut Butter Crunch and Vanilly Crunch: Too bad. In about 1949 or t0, there was a cerial that we sugar frosted and came in a cellophane bag called after the program it sponsored, Ranger Joe but that had a habit of clumping togeter in summer due to the heat and humidity. As I recall I used to like that one While I do not care fro wheat cereals and prefer rice, corn and oats. the only one I have never been able to even finish one of is the full,-sized shredded wheat. I do nto even know how you do it. You could break a window with it dry and when you put it in milk you have to wait an hour before it is even apporachable and then it looks and tastes like straw. On that matter I have not changed since my first encounter with it back in the covered wagon days of 1951 or 2

I love paste shapes, but when I shop for myself I always go for the cheap, plain stuff :( There's got to be some thrifty Scottish blood in me which prevents me from seeing past the price, even when I have a little extra to spend!

Bettypooh

Same here. I always end up buying the plain Mac and Cheese because it is always cheaper. What's fun is eating a bowl of mac and cheese while keeping your hands behind your back. You get messy, but that's the idea.

Christine, totally agree. In actuality, cereals suck and they are all the same. Even Cheerios is the same thing as Trix. It lowers your cholesterol they advertise, but in fine print it says statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. In other words, they are make shit up. It is quite obvious it does nothing anyway because that is not how you lower cholesterol. Those cereals are all mostly empty calories, and you can feel it when you get hungry again 15 minutes later after eating a bowl of cereal. What they do to make it look healthy is add a ton of vitamins and minerals that for the most part, don't make a difference here because your body cannot absorb it at a fast enough rate and most people already get enough from there other meals that aren't made of pills. If you eat your fruit, you would be better off skipping breakfast if all you planned on eating were these cereals they sell in the grocery stores.

I have been eating mostly oatmeal for breakfast for at least 5 years. That instant oatmeal works great and it is easy to make it taste good with some brown sugar or get the flavor you like.

The problem with instant outmeal, If you mean the pre-packaged kind is that there is not enough to fill a baby

What I end up doing is using the 1-minute "Quick Cook" and then add what I want (brown sugar and butter or cinnimon and rasions or maple or even throw in bits of other cereal. I am thinking of pckles and ketchup: Who knows?), that way, I get what I want and enough of it

As far as "kid food" itself, I much prefer making my own over using store bought these days. I suppose that's because my Gramma was/is a very good cook, and she would make all kinds of things for my older sister and I. My favorite thing to make homemade? Chicken nuggets...That was one of my favorites from her - she'd make my sister & I a good sized bowl to share. It's a pleasant memory and now I have the opportunity to make them for other people. I will say, however, that the majority of the food I was raised with (at least with my grandparents) wasn't your typical "kiddie" food - like porksteaks, frikadellers, pork & sauerkraut w/ dumplings & mashed potatoes, pickled beets, pickled herring, braunschweiger sandwiches, salami sandwiches, haluski (with ham or bacon), even sardines. It was all very good though. I promise you that we did eat vegetables along with our other food, as well! That I think is in itself a "kid food" experience - staring down the broccoli...Although in my case it was (and still is!) the tomatoes & green peppers instead.

With the processed/packaged stuff...It really varies these days. A lot of the traditional "kid food" I've either lost my taste for because of too much salt or sugar, or I can't tolerate it. My biggest kid food weakness these days is gummy candy (worms, bears).

I'm also still a fan of most "kid cereals" on the market, though I rarely eat them. I do agree with Christine on the fact that Cap'n Crunch tears up one's mouth, but that's why I used to let it sit for just a little while - enough to make it not hard on the mouth but not enough for it to turn into total and complete mush.

Oatmeal is a different subject altogether...Quaker never has been that kid friendly, as Christine said, but it seems they've been trying with the Chewy bars. I personally think that Quaker Oatmeal Squares are pretty kid-friendly too, though they're not the "target audience". Oatmeal, however, has a long way to go to be kid-friendly. I used to hate oatmeal due to the way my family made it...yuck. They'd always drown it in liquids, usually milk, AFTER it was cooked through - and not just cooked through, mind you, but gummy nasty mush. Then, raisins and cinnamon were added. I love oatmeal cookies (even oatmeal raisin cookies are good), but that texture...even more yuck. I still hate it that way, but I've come to like it made my way. Those packets, in my opinion, are absolutely horrible in taste and in texture. I'll stick to the Old Fashioned Oats & spruce them up myself.

~ Cody aka moogle

I never thought of chicken nuggets as kid food becasue up until recently there was really no such thing and meat was not considered a snack for kids.

As far as oatmeal went, that was a kid's nightmare in 1953

I think that in order it was candy, cookies/pastry, ice cream, soda, hot dogs and hamburgers ("Hot dogs: Armor hot dogs, What kind of kids eat Armor hot dogs?...." the song went form 1968 to about 1986), Marshmallows, and bananas and canned frui/fruit cocktail. Those were the biggies. Fluffernutters were made up by Marshmallow Fluff in the late '50's I, nor anyone I knew from a large area, ever heard of s;mores until the 1980's and the name sounds like a make-up. Then there were the gawdawfuls like ketchup and mustard sandwiches

Oatmeal may not be kid friendly, but as a staple for my breakfast, I like it that way. As Christine points out, they advertise kid-friendly products to kids, not adults, so they are going to make it taste good to kids, but no one will care if it is actually a good breakfast.

So Halloween got me thinking about the candy I liked to eat as a kid. It is definitely far different from the candy I like today. I use to like those flavored sugar sticks, lol, but after a certain point I started hating them. Smarties were another favorite of mine. Also, I remember they had these cookies and cream Hershy bars for a limited time. I used to like those and they had them in all the vending machines. Dad, dad, can I have a dollar, NO. The trick was to ask mom, because she would often want half, which is a good enough deal. Oh, who could forget about Fruit-by-the-Foot. Those where popular when I was in elementary school. Also, I remember clearly when a Krispy Cremes first came to our town, lol, I still like those. Something I remember doing myself was to butter up some toast (I might have used honey too, I don't remember for sure) and dump sugar on it so you cover it like glitter on glue, lol. My parents used to tell me often we have plenty of food at home often suggesting fruit, and then they tell me to find myself something to eat, so I did, rofl.

Candy for me at that time: Well, anything chocolate and without nuts. I liked nuts, but separately. 3 Musketeers was great, my favorite was m&m's. of the non chocoloate, NECCO Wafers, The most misnamed candy; Circus Peanuts; shaped like peanuts and taste like bananas: We used to call them "banana candy", jelly beans and Smarites, For the last 40 years, I've had a thing for jelly orange slices

Fruits: Bananas, all kinds of stone fruits, If I could get someone to peel them, oranges and grapes, especially concored Bring 'em! I would eat them all day

After about 5-1/2, I was not a fussy eater. The only things I would not touch were liver, eggs, spinach and most fish though I loved tuna and fish & chips

There is one kid food that we missed. French fries and I do not mean the little skinny ones. I mean the once you got at a local stand. dark brown and with salt and vinegar to make your lips curl up, usually with a hot dog and a coke, or better yet, TWO hot dogs and a coke

• 4 months later...

Nothings better than the one and only Capitan Crunch with Crunch berries!!! O*M*G...being a carb freek (or freek in general) gotta love that stuff. Had it when I was a 9real) kid...and I like it occasionally now....hmmmm might have tpo go get some :blush:

If you do not mind getting your mouth chewed up to shreds. Why they have never fixed that in 50 years I do not know. I am not the only one to notice that, ether

In the mid 1980, there were "Gummi Boogers", I wonder why they flopped, they were soooo kid. I only saw 2 packs. I ate one and sent the other to my friend