LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Emotional Attachment To A Story

I've only written two stories, one of which is unfinished, that I've posted up here. Part of the reason, I think, that the one is still unfinished, is because I find myself getting HEAVILY involved emotionally with the story as I tell it. Granted, both stories are very emotionally charged, and there is a great deal of pain in each, though on different levels and in different segments, but do you ever find yourself exhausted on an emotional level when you write?

Or, more specifically, do you find yourself choking up when your lead character is in tears? Does it hurt you to hurt them? On a metaphysical level, do you find yourself projecting your past hurts onto them, and in doing so relive those hurts? And, if so, how do you deal with it?

Feel free to tell me I'm a basket case that needs psychiatric help. :)

Sit down in front of a big mirror and repeat this phrase until you feel better: "I'm OK. You're OK."

Then grow a pair.

Seriously, your stories are thoroughly sensitive and well written, but if you get like this then maybe writing out how you feel is no longer therapeutic for you.

Perhaps if you submitted to Harlequin Romances the rejection slips would make you feel better.

happiness is wearing cotton diapers

I haven't gotten like that in my writing, but I do know the pain and hurt you feel and are talking about. I have had to deal with it for years growing up and trying to get back into diapers as a kid. I just posted part 1 of my story up here, so take a look at it when you get a chance and you can see where it all comes from.

Granted I've gotten a lot better with it over the last few years, but it's something that I'll never forget, and it's made me stronger as a result. "That which does not kill you, makes you stronger!"

I think there's a fine balance between getting emotionally involved with your characters. On the one hand, you should care deeply about them because it'll show in your writing and hopefully will cause your audience to care just as deeply, too. On the other hand, you do have to hurt and torment your characters a little because then we'll want to see them overcome their pain and setbacks. Stories that feature no conflict at all, or continual setbacks with no hope of a happy ending or resolution, just aren't that satisfying.

Looking back, I think I learned this after I wrote my story "Claire Continued." Although I cared about the characters, I'd already put them through a lot in my previous story, and in this one I didn't really give them any long-term conflict or struggle (certainly nothing that couldn't be resolved in a chapter or two). Same thing happened again in "Staying Up With Mel."

Point is, you should care enough to want to see your characters to overcome whatever obstacles you put in their way. :thumbsup:

Sit down in front of a big mirror and repeat this phrase until you feel better: "I'm OK. You're OK."

I don't think so.... we just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw..... does that sound...fine?....hehehehehe....heheheheh....

I like to write off and on and i get emotionally tangled into the story. I think its a good thing to do honestly. Becasue if you get emotionally involved, and your readers do, well thats just great story telling

• Like 1

I don't think so.... we just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw..... does that sound...fine?....hehehehehe....heheheheh....

Yes *pats diapcrow gently on the head*, you're okay. *dialing 911 on cellphone with other hand* :D

I like to write off and on and i get emotionally tangled into the story. I think its a good thing to do honestly. Because if you get emotionally involved, and your readers do, well thats just great story telling

The only part that's tough for me is when I ratchet up the intensity level so high, I'm so wiped out I have a hard time getting back to work on the story...

I guess, Marcuss. Maybe my definition of "too attached" is overblown. I started this thread the other day, finishing up a story and finding myself choked up and nearly in tears because of the way it ended, and I wondered if I had plugged myself in a bit too far.

• 2 months later...

Well I am writing my first story and am quite attached to protaganist myself. His past is based alot on my past as I figured it would be a good way for me to think about things. I quite enjoy the writing as it gives me some quiet time that I otherwise wouldn't take. I am at a cross roads now on whether I take him through something very painful or soften the blow a bit. I think I will go through with the pain though. It is a good development and when he overcomes the pain he will change in a positive way.

• 2 weeks later...

When I write something, it is always self-centered, and the main character is always me. I can only write in the character of a white male, but I can put that person at any age, or space. If I don't have the emotional attachment to what I'm writing, the story goes nowhere.

Unfortunately, a lot of the time I'll get the character to a point where I wanted to go (usually diapers), but then I have nothing left to add. I try to add another aspect to the story, but since I don't feel anything for the character, the story dies in my word folder.

I don't write about characters that would cause me to become emotionally upset because that's not what I want to portray to my readers. If that happens to you, then what will be the experience for anyone reading what you wrote? And will they want to read future writings from you? I hope that people will relate to my characters or maybe even see themselves in what I write. I aim to give people pleasure in my stories even though I do include some drama. Good luck to you with your writing and I hope you can sort out what it is that you want to achieve and that it turns out positive.

June, while I appreciate that sentiment, a story that is non-stop happy with no conflict isn't much of a story. Emotional upheaval, expressed fully, is a very, very important mechanic. It pulls your reader in, makes them connect with the character.

sigh... i have been reading your work, and it brings me to tears, and if it can do that to me, it must be even stronger for you being the one writeing it.

as i see it some degree of suffering is required to produce these truly compelling emotions, but this can be mitigated by makeing sure you dont write when you are short of sleep, or intoxicated in any way, as these states weaken your natural mental bariers between reality and fantasy, you can also poactively remind yourself that this is only a work of fiction.

you may also want to remind yourself that these emotions are not yours, they are the emotions of your character that are being projected onto you.

you arent a dwarf that has just been disowned, you are a writer with many people who are happy to talk to you if things seem overwhelming.

i hope this helps, oh yea and also try and smile, even if you fake it, it still helps :)

• Like 1

do you find yourself choking up when your lead character is in tears? Does it hurt you to hurt them? On a metaphysical level, do you find yourself projecting your past hurts onto them, and in doing so relive those hurts? And, if so, how do you deal with it?

Feel free to tell me I'm a basket case that needs psychiatric help. smile.gif

I haven't felt that way when writing diaper stories, but I used to write screenplays a long time ago; one screenplay I did, I actually inadvertently wrote a character so real [and frightening] that I was actually getting nightmares from it.

So, trust me, you're definitely not the only one who feels that way sometimes. :)

• 2 months later...

I think this may be a normal process of writing for some. Almost like method acting, they need to experience things to write about them. Some people can be cool and detached from their characters. I cannot be that way, not in anything I do; there are emotions involved not just in writing but even fixing one of the work trucks.

I'm more of a poet and have written a few short stories, but currently I am working on a large project that draws upon a lot of my own experiences, good and bad, and it does affect me. Many times I'm relating fictionalized versions of events from my own life and writing about it brings back a lot of the emotions I felt. There's violence, crime, fucked-up psycho assholes, drugs, revenge killings, mystery, the revealing of dark secrets. But there is also some seriously beautiful things going on amidst all that; two people who survived a lot of that shit and are completely devoted to each other. So, yeah, it's a rollercoaster.

I never finished the one story I started here, but I have written volumes of work, and not once has one of my 'winners' not had a close emotional effect on me, either in the story line, the characters, or both. For me at least, that is where good writing begins- nothing that didn't 'tie in' that well with me has ever gotten a good review. It's a writers heaven and hell rolled into one- it just goes with the territory. I write what and when I feel like- even when it wracks my soul- knowing I can edit it later when I feel more 'normal'. Then I save it an do just that. Most of the time a lot gets changed in the editing, but it ends up better for that. The thing to do is try it both ways, the then see what your readers like best. Then you decide whether you're going to write what you want or write what they want. If you're looking for commercial success you don't get that decision, but if your writing to expose your soul you can decide how much of it to put out there and how. Right now I'm attempting my first DL/Fearplay/BD/AB story. It's nowhere near being done, way too long and repetitive, and will get about half of it chopped out- but the end result will hopefully be worth it. If I think it's good enough I'll post it here on DD. If not it goes into the round file where about 3/4 of my writing goes. I've been working on this one for about six months so far, but only when I feel like it- that's my normal course of action. If you don't feel something when you create it, your readers won't feel anything when they read it except maybe disgust or boredom.

Just my $0.02 worth

Bettypooh

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...