LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Close To Incontinence With A Catheter

Sadly this still allows for control. It only bypasses the prostate, not the muscle controlling continence.

Why not place it further up where the muscle is??? Who says it has to be placed at the prostate????

It looks like it would be ideal, except it's too short. The external urinary sphincter appears to be AFTER the prostate in the diagram on the site, that's why the device is ideal to maintain continence.

Yep, I know it's too short. I didn't mean it to be the perfect solution, just an example of what is already there, and could be modified to meet our target. All it would need would be an extension past the external sphincter and that'd be it. On the other hand there is already this:

http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jour/08/45/4/orris.html

If you'd do away with the magnet valve (or superglue a magnet in the right place which you could remove in emergencies; but that would somehow defy the object) then you've got the bee's knees.

What do you think?

Why not place it further up where the muscle is??? Who says it has to be placed at the prostate????

Are you being paid by the question mark? Or are you just very upset?

The product itself "says" it needs to be placed as is based on the engineering of the stent. The balloon will naturally sit up against the bladder wall and the stent is too short to bypass the bladder's sphincter.

Yep, I know it's too short. I didn't mean it to be the perfect solution, just an example of what is already there, and could be modified to meet our target. All it would need would be an extension past the external sphincter and that'd be it. On the other hand there is already this:

http://www.rehab.res...45/4/orris.html

If you'd do away with the magnet valve (or superglue a magnet in the right place which you could remove in emergencies; but that would somehow defy the object) then you've got the bee's knees.

What do you think?

Now this would be perfect. You would not even need to glue a magnet on the outside either, simply modify the device before insertion. Very cool!

Found this product that is ready to use.

It's called urovalve and I hope that we can buy it soon..

Don't forget to look at the video how to use it..

http://www.urovalve.com/technology.php

:thumbsup:

You mean you found the product that wetman posted three post above yours? Good job! ;)

The product is not out yet. It just received a 400k grant from the gov't for further development so it may be sometime before we see it as consumers.

This a great thread and I'd like to tell you about my experiences with "holey" catheters. I've used a pair of bandage scissors to cut the notch in siliconized latex catheters. These scissors have a very fine serrated edge which permits a very shallow cut and avoid cutting the inflation tube. After some practice I've been able to cut a smooth hole with tapered edges. The sensation of loss of control is amazing, every time I cough or stand up, I pee with no control. After a while though, I get irritated by the edges of the hole chewing on my urethra.

Inspired by efforts of others to smooth the edges, I dug out my dremel tool and used a very soft buffing wheel (think fine scotchbrite) to smooth the edges. I had to stretch the catheter to keep it from jumping around, but with some patience, I've been able to make a much smoother hole.

Playing with catheters is risky business and I've gotten a couple of UTIs which were solved by prompt trips to the doctor for antibiotics. Sterile procedures are essential to prevent infections and even so there is no guarantee.

Playing with catheters is risky business and I've gotten a couple of UTIs which were solved by prompt trips to the doctor for antibiotics.

Bobbyca was this while using the "holey" catheter?

So we have had a little experience with the "holey" catheter now and I was wondering if anyone has come down with a UTI while using this procedure? If so what do you think may have contributed to it? I had hoped that the continuous flushing of the urethra should avoid infection.

I was thinking of the Dremal tool also. Did you cut the hole first them smoth the edges or did you use the dremal to make the opening?

What I have had a lot of luck with is using a very sharp pair of scissors (which I disinfect first) to cut the opening along the catheter. What I do is place the catheter over a rounded surface, roughly the diameter of a coke can, then stretch the catheter a bit. This makes the surface easier to "catch" with the scissors and also makes the edge smoother when it goes back to it's regular size.

I make the cut while the cath is stretched out at an angle, making only a small cut along the surface of the cath.

So far this has worked best for me. I've worn a catheter cut in this manner for three days without irritation problems.

I have been following this a bit and I have to admit that I find it interesting....

And that brings me to a question.

Instead of modifying a catheter tube with holes what would happen if you just used a very small diameter catheter? Or would the balloon in the bladder keep urine from leaking out?

I ask because I don't know....

• 2 weeks later...

what would happen if you just used a very small diameter catheter? Or would the balloon in the bladder keep urine from leaking out?

Well, you see, the sphincter closes around the catheter, so usually nothing gets around it regardless of diameter. The balloon is just there so that the catheter doesn't slip out again, it's got no sealing function. The reason that the 'holy' catheter works is that the catheter makes a passage through the sphincter which cannot be closed. So, sorry, but it wouldn't work.

hth

So, I've been mulling this around in my head. I've had a thought but not had a chance to gather the parts needed.

Take the largest foley you can get inside your plumbing comfortably. Take the smallest intermittent cath you can find, 8FR is what I can find online.

If you could trim away most everything from about 3 inches from the balloon, leaving the balloon fill tube intact, you'd have what the the product we all would love to try. Now, use the 8FR intermittent cath, slipped into the remaining foley cath as an insertion tool.

Not sure if this will work but the caths involved are only $5 total. No holes need to be punched but you'll have to carefully trim the cath to avoid damaging the inflation tube.

I plan to attempt this when I have some time to gather the pieces.

• Thanks 1

Over on Fetlife there was a similar discussing about using a short simi solid tube pushed in and left with a string to retrieve the tube. The tube of course being positioned to hold the bladder open , Not sure I would trust everything coming out as you would hope it would when it comes time to remove it.

Sorry I went looking for the post and could not find it.

If you strip away everything but the fill tube in Bo Tox's idea, would it be strong enough to pull out the remaining catheter? I would be worried it would break and therefore result in a trip to the doctor.

I was thinking along the way that Bo Tox proposed, but found a few obstacles that I haven't solved yet.

1.) Stripping the catheter down to only the blocker tube: maybe it's a thing with Rusch catheters (it seems to me the most widely used brand in my part of the world), but the filler tube is quite hard to make out, so cutting away the rest is rather awkward.

2.) The blocker balloon does it's job of preventing the catheter from slipping out, but it doesn't prevent it from slipping in too far. We need a means of securing the place of the catheter in both directions.

3.) Cutting the catheter even with a razor blade or a scalpel still gave me some rough edges because I can't do the whole length in one motion. I'd like a smooth surface.

4.) Working sterile while preparing. I gave up on that. You just cannot keep everything totally sterile while you modify the catheter, so I propose working as clean as possible and cold sterilising afterwards by 20 minutes immersion in Sodium Hypochloride solution (Milton brand sterilising liquid, usually for baby bottles, teats and the like ; or something similar, should not harm the rubber).

Of these, the number 2 issue baffles me most. Maybe I'm thinking in the wrong way there and the catheter always wants to go outwards. It suggests itself, because as soon as I unblock one, it starts slipping out of me. But that might only be due to the whole catheter filling the urethra and it's weight pulling it down? I also haven't run around with an unblocked catheter, so I haven't got any experience which direction it might prefer if unblocked. The stupid thing might be the somewhat variable length of the male plumbing down there, and the bends that move with your movements. Who knows which way the might pull or push?

I went through the presentation videos for the "Spanner" and saw that it has a little "butterfly" at the distal end that unfolds as the introducer is withdrawn. This appears to be their way of ascertaining the position of the device. From the video you can see that this "butterfly" sits in a slightly larger diameter part of the urethra, just outwards from the external sphincter. For our purposes, we need to channel through this sphincter anyway, so the device has to be at least this long and now we don't have the opportunity to use this method of stopping an inward motion. Also, I could not really see this wider section in other images of the male urinary tract. Was it exaggerated in the video for visualisation? Maybe someone with better anatomical knowledge could help out to clarify this.

If a device could be made to act like a "outwards pulling force" in this region, would it chafe and hurt the urethra?

I keep thinking of a reverse Chinese finger trap, it would only resist an inward motion, and be quite easy to pull out.

Any corrections and improvements are, of course, welcome.

And any comments and construction help, too!

With regards to cutting the catheter along the inflation tube I'd suggest filling the balloon with food dye first.

This allows to you see the tube more clearly while cutting. Also having the balloon filled is a good idea as you will know immeditelyy if you have nicked the inflation tube, rather than wait till you're done only to find out it's trash.

Well.... this works extremely well. I have had this cath in for 3 days straight and have gone thru a lot of diapers... this is the 3rd time I have tried this.... the second time I went for 11 days in a row. I did up the ante just a little.... after inflating the balloon I take about 3cc of ky jelly and slowly work it into the balloon to prevent me from changing my mind while I am in public. I still use a zip tie and cut off the end but when you remove the zip tie...... it takes a while for the ky to work its way back out of that tiny opening of the tube leading into the balloon. It took a whole day for it to work its way out the last time. If you really wanted to get it out quicker you could work some water into the hole to help water down the ky...