LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Close To Incontinence With A Catheter

After 36 hours of use the modified catheter was removed causing almost no urethral irritation compared to a standard Foley. Just wondering what balloon size people are using? I’m using the 5cc inflated with 10cc sterile water from an the insertion tray per instructions. I've seen 5cc (inflated to 10cc), 15cc, 30cc and even a 75cc.

While I've never tried the extra holes yet, I have used almost exclusively 30cc balloon caths inflated to 30cc. I figure that makes the bladder capacity smaller and forces it to drain more often. Even at 30cc it is only the size of a plum. 5cc only looks to be the size of a good sized grape.

Thanks BoTox – I’ll put in an order for the larger size and see how that works.

I realize that the punch method of hole creation that I described needs some elaboration. I’ve discovered that by sliding the catheter to the edge of the packaging I can punch though the package and the catheter compromising the sterile field as little as possible. I then wrap the packaging around the hole with an antiseptic wipe. The open-end wrench or any tool that can flatten the catheter holds it in place while making the cut. The cut is on the side as illustrated in the picture. You need to take very little material because the hole is doubled in size when you release the pressure. Hope that helps explain things better.

post-9519-0-79584700-1315082640_thumb.jp

post-9519-0-79584700-1315082640_thumb.jp

• Like 1

While the punch does not create a rounded edge the low angle of the bevel seems reasonable. The bevel angel is lowest in the insertion and withdrawal direction. Flame burnishing is used to round off glassware, but would likely just light latex or silicone on fire. Short of casting your own catheters I'm out of ideas to smooth out the edges.

post-9519-0-86879400-1315089395_thumb.jp

post-9519-0-86879400-1315089395_thumb.jp

While the punch does not create a rounded edge the low angle of the bevel seems reasonable. The bevel angel is lowest in the insertion and withdrawal direction. Flame burnishing is used to round off glassware, but would likely just light latex or silicone on fire. Short of casting your own catheters I'm out of ideas to smooth out the edges.

OK, that makes sense. Looks like you are clipping it way back from the balloon. I guess it doesn't matter where the hole is as long as it is before the end of the body.

I doubt you could polish or otherwise smooth latex or silicone. I would think the sharper the punch, the better and cleaner the edge. The caths I've examined did not appear to have smoothed edges. They were, like your diagram, just nicking the edge so they weren't a large circumference, which meant very little was missing to irritate the tissue.

Where did you get this from? It's not what people call a typical leather hole punch. The closest I found was a doll makers punch.

Thanks!

I got this at a leather specialty shop ages ago. Tandy Leather stores are in many major cities or you can mail order.

Tandy Leather Factory has a multi punch for about $20

http://www.tandyleat...ls/3004-00.aspx

Maxi Punch Set Item #3004-00

Diameters 3/16", 13/64", 7/32", 1/4", 17/64" and 5/16". Set includes six interchangeable tempered-steel tubes and forged steel handle.

or single size for $13

http://www.tandyleat...ts/3777-09.aspx

• Like 1

OK so my first attempt to try this failed using a 12FR catheter. I think I made the hole to large and while inserting it may have gotten twisted and blocked as nothing was coming out even with an open end on the catheter.

Today starting with a 14fr things went much better. While I don

This is sooooo cool

I wish I could get my hands on some catheter..

Does anybody now how to get one?

Ebay would offer the least resistence for ordering. There are some great online medical stores you can order from also. I would think no one is going to post their source as they do require a prescription in the US but rarely inforced

I use wire cutters to make the hole in my catheter. Just keep things clean and the fluid flowing to cut down the risk of a UTI. Of all of the times I use a catheter (once or twice a week left in for a day) I have only gotten one UTI in the past year. Started noticing clouding urine, popped a few leftover antibiotics and it was gone in 2 days. I have been getting my catheters on ebay as well as my outfits.

• Like 1

Really well said!

I've been playing with catheters since I was 14. In that time I've only had a few infections. Taking precautions is very important. Keep everything sterile as possible. Drink *lots* of fluids, way more than you normally would, this helps flush the bladder. In addition to Cranberry juice I also recommend taking a low dose of the herb Uva Ursi ( http://www.umm.edu/a...ursi-000278.htm ). If you feel you might have the start of a bladder infection then take more.

I went to the link posted above to read more about this herb... I think EVERYONE who considers taking this herb should read

the info there.... The article mentions several times that taking to much of this herb can cause liver damage!

Be careful, folks!

I went to the link posted above to read more about this herb... I think EVERYONE who considers taking this herb should read

the info there.... The article mentions several times that taking to much of this herb can cause liver damage!

Be careful, folks!

Well of course you have to read it and follow the instructions. I did not say go take a whole bottle and hope for the best. Tylenol also causes liver damage, but we certainly use it.

It also helps treat a minor / early UTI, which beats the alternative.

Well, tried Swet's idea of zip tying the end of the cath and cutting off the rest. It worked like a charm and was nice not having all that extra in the diaper. The balloon drained with no problem when I cut the zip tie off.

It worked like a charm and was nice not having all that extra in the diaper.

Glad to hear that it worked for you BabyboyCW.

Since ones diaper ends up continuously damp, I was wondering what sort of skin protection or cleaning people use to avoid problems? I use "No Rinse" to clean up and then apply Johnson

Whats the sensation like with the catheter draining in the nappy, are you suddenly wet without realising it? Does the wetness go to the back of the nappy.....

I would love to try catheters but hate the thought of sticking something it my willy.... I would need somebody to do it for me..

• Like 1

Whats the sensation like with the catheter draining in the nappy, are you suddenly wet without realising it? Does the wetness go to the back of the nappy.....

No, you will know you are wetting its just you will have no control over what is happening. As myself and others have said, you will flow more when standing up or when first rising from a sitting position.

Yes, your diaper will work like it normally would.