LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What Do You Like In Your Stories?

Story Survey  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer to read stories about men or women?

• Men
    • Women
    • Both
    • Doesn't matter
  2. 2. Do you prefer to write stories about men or women?

• Men
    • Women
    • Both
    • Doesn't matter
  3. 3. How important is it that a character in a story actually uses their diapers?

• Very Important
    • Somewhat Important
    • Not Important

I'm curious to know what people like to read and write about in AB/DL stories. What gets you excited? What draws you to a story and leaves you ready for more?

:thumbsup:

Guest AmatureStryWriter

you cannot forgot the proper usage of conjunctions. Over use them, and you just sound silly now don't you? :)

~ASW

I agree that stories without some semblance of grammar, paragraph spacing, and punctuation is going to drive readers away. That goes without saying. ;)

As for the content of stories, I like stories that involve men and/or women. As for writing or reading, I tend to prefer it when characters are established as wearing diapers instead of being introduced or forced into them. I'm not that big a fan of stories involving humiliation or men being dressed up as girls, although a particularly well-written one may catch my eye.

Also, I have this thing about stories involving aunts and nieces. No idea why. :thumbsup:

Guest AmatureStryWriter

I agree that stories without some semblance of grammar, paragraph spacing, and punctuation is going to drive readers away. That goes without saying. ;)

I have actually not finished more stories than not because it was poorly written. But there's more than just grammer and punctuation for me. Not only does it have to be well written to maintain my attention, but it has to be written in a way that draws me in and makes me part of the story... like I'm there. There has to be detail, surroundings, feelings, thoughts, etc as well as the description of what's going on.

There are very few authors (accomplished authors) who I can get completely engrossed in their stories. My favorite author hands down, Stephen King. I read one of his books and I'm not "here" you know? I'm there, I'm the character. I start reading at 1:00 pm and look up a little while later and WHOA... it's 8:00 pm lol.

I just finished reading J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord Of The Ring trilogy, another fantastic author who sucked me into his work. Awesome set of books, btw, highly recommended if you havn't read them. I thought the movies were the bomb until I read the book. Of course the book is always better than the movie anyways.

Stephen King's best work in my opinion, The Dark Tower series. That's some seriously heavy stuff.

~ASW

i cant stand stories that start out like. "hi, im tiffany a hot 19 year old girl THAT WEARS DIAPERS!!!!11!"

-.-

like,im on an abdl website in the story forum. i know that at some point diapers will be involved with the main character.

atleast make the introduction of diapers interesting in the story -.-

i cant stand stories that start out like. "hi, im tiffany a hot 19 year old girl THAT WEARS DIAPERS!!!!11!"

-.-

like,im on an abdl website in the story forum. i know that at some point diapers will be involved with the main character.

atleast make the introduction of diapers interesting in the story -.-

I agree. Also, and this isn't a slam on anyone in particular, but I've noticed it's a common trend for stories to begin with lines with, "Jenny Johnson was just your average girl. She was 5'3" and 120 lbs, with long blonde hair and big blue eyes, and wore a pink blouse with a denim skirt and..."

First of all, if this is a story about diapers, then no, Jenny isn't going to be "just your average girl." Secondly, there's an oft-quoted rule of "Show Don't Tell"--as in, "don't overload the reader with info, just tell the story and let us figure it out." Exposition's one thing, but it needs to go with the action of the story. I'm not going to be hooked on a story just because you've painted a very attractive portrait of a character. Unless that character does, says, or experiences something that interests me, I'm not going to keep reading.

That's enough for today's rant. Just something I've been meaning to say for a while.

If anyone has any other things they'd like to add, please don't hesitate to post them. :thumbsup:

Well, JDL23, personally I haven't seen any stories posted here by Stephen King or any other well-read professional author. Obviously we've got some excellent writers here (Hey, Botox, would you FINISH that story!! And oh, Turtlepins, you're due for another story too aren't you?), a very few who may have sold something here and there (I've got no idea who), but most are just people here who have enjoyed a story or two and want to take a crack at it themselves.

From there, things go downhill fast. As mentioned by others, spelling, punctuation, a semblance of grammar and decent spacing are very important to me. I've tried to read some stories that are completely run ons, but I don't usually get far. If the writing seems exceptional, I at least think about copying and pasting into a new document, then resizing and spacing so I can read the story, but it's seldom worth it.

My own personal tastes in stories are ones in which I can identify with the main character. My fantasies revolve around being forced to wear diapers (though I already love to) mixed in with a little bondage. From that, I like stories where a man is an unsuspecting victim usually of some dominating female(s) who take control of him in one way or another and put him into diapers. Maybe he'll continue to be an adult forced to use diapers or maybe he'll be turned into an AB who learns to love being someone's big baby.

I like Botox's stories recently about people being made to wear diapers as a court-ordered alternative sentencing program as a twist on that. I do NOT like stories about under-age boys or girls being diapered at home or at school - it seems too close to pedophilia even when there is nothing sexual about it. I have read some stories like this, but I usually stay far away. Some of those stories are well-written enough to attract and hold my attention, but very few.

While I'm straight, a very well written gay story will still draw me in and the same goes for a very basic straight forward AB story.

What I hate MOST of all - and no one has mentioned this - is the very common practice here of starting a story and then leaving it hanging! Sure I know life gets in the way and I know that for most of us here who try writing, the process is for ourselves and the reader is just a fortunate recipient of our work. Still, it ends up being horribly cruel for an author to walk away from a story without coming to some sort of reasonable conclusion.

What I hate MOST of all - and no one has mentioned this - is the very common practice here of starting a story and then leaving it hanging! Sure I know life gets in the way and I know that for most of us here who try writing, the process is for ourselves and the reader is just a fortunate recipient of our work. Still, it ends up being horribly cruel for an author to walk away from a story without coming to some sort of reasonable conclusion.

Oh, definitely. As anyone who's read my two "Life with Claire" stories knows, I'm a stickler for keeping up a solid schedule for when I post new chapters on the forum. However, I was still writing out the sequel when I started posting it, so I had to disrupt that schedule a couple of times in order to catch up. Ultimately, I wasn't satisfied with how it ended up, which is why I've found it difficult to write a third story in that series.

At the moment, I'm in the process of writing a new story, but I needed to rewrite the premise a few times, so I don't think I'll be posting anything until I'm at least three-fourths of the way done. That way, I won't be putting up one or two chapters, and then letting all my readers lose interest after several months.

I think some good examples of stories that were both well-written and regularly updated were Molly Deer's "A Master's Degree in Life" and CS Fox's "My Real Country Family." I highly recommend them if anyone hasn't read them yet. :thumbsup:

Just as a quick follow-up (since I'm in the middle of writing another story for DD), what do y'all think about perspective or voice? Do you prefer stories that are first-person or third-person limited? :thumbsup:

As a writer, I'd say that it is important to have characters in a story that are believable and ones that you could relate to as being "real." (As real as fiction can be, that is). To keep things interesting, an infantilism story must include other aspects of the peoples' lives and a story line that moves along over time. Of course I'm talking about full-length novels; I haven't done any infantilist short stories. I prefer to develop an entire book rather than just write one scenario as a single story. Also, it helps if the story is written so that the reader could say, "That happened to me!" or, "I do that, too!" One final note: Supporting characters are almost as important as your lead character. In summary, it's Good Plot, Good Leading Character, Good Supporting Characters.

BabyJune 6/19/2010

I prefer to develop an entire book rather than just write one scenario as a single story.

I suppose my stories would qualify as novellas, since they're made up of very short chapters, with something like one or two scenes per chapter.

In summary, it's Good Plot, Good Leading Character, Good Supporting Characters.

BabyJune 6/19/2010

Well said, BabyJune! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

The grammar, punctuation, everything like that is pretty much self explanatory. It needs to be there, or the story will be pretty much useless to anyone but the author. Unfortunately.

The thing that makes or breaks a story (in something else than preference, sissy/non sissy, whatever), is the setting. If the story is placed in a bubble, for instance at a school, in a nurses office, in a house, and it just never seems to leave or introduce new settings, it'll get old fast. Placing a story in a proper universe, be it sci-fi, alternative universe or pretty much just the one we live in is just so important to give a story life.

Additionally, the Mary-Janes get old fast. It's a bit like Twilight. You find a an author who has pretty much written how he/she WISHES he/she was like, their life, lovers, everything.

Additionally, the Mary-Janes get old fast. It's a bit like Twilight. You find a an author who has pretty much written how he/she WISHES he/she was like, their life, lovers, everything.

I think you mean Mary Sues, but I get your point. They do tend to pop up in bad writing.

BTW, if anyone wants a good list on how not to write a Mary Sue character, I recommend this page.

I'm curious to know what people like to read and write about in AB/DL stories. What gets you excited? What draws you to a story and leaves you ready for more?

:thumbsup:

I will read anything except a story that starts like, "as a 12 year old boy" or "Jane was 11 when." Those I pretty much just close the window and don't continue.

I'm not much on AB stuff but will read one that has a good start. Gay stuff isn't my thing either but I'll give it a fair chance if it isn't too heavy.

I like adults in diapers in different and familiar situations but reacting to them as only someone who has never done it before can.

I like a little scifi in my DL stories from time to time. I write a few like that as well. What I write is what I like. If a story isn't stirring any feelings, I don't read it (or write it that way).

As for the one chapter wonders, those that start a good story and leave it hanging, I hate that. I've been guilty of posting a story and letting it dangle but I have yet to totally abandon one. I hope I never do unless I'm dead. ;)

I prefer that the main character is not an adult. I don't have fantasies of being an adult in diapers, I like the idea of being cute and vulnerable. I just can't suspend disbelief enough for an adult character to work. It's an absolute must that there be no overt sexuality though. I prefer male characters with female caregivers as well. I don't like humiliation exactly, some embarrassment is good but nothing outright malicious. I usually like it better when the diapers are needed for some reason. New creative ways of establishing that reason are really what I'm looking for most, just having the character start wetting the bed for no good reason doesn't really cut it.

I like a little scifi in my DL stories from time to time. I write a few like that as well.

And I've enjoyed that angle quite a bit, so thanks for that, BoTox. :thumbsup:

As for the one chapter wonders, those that start a good story and leave it hanging, I hate that. I've been guilty of posting a story and letting it dangle but I have yet to totally abandon one. I hope I never do unless I'm dead. ;)

I know I've said it before, but I'm paranoid about doing this, so the story I'm writing now needs to be at least three-fourths done before I start posting chapters.

"Not very organized around here yet. But it's coming along, love, it's coming."

--Osbie Feel, Gravity's Rainbow.

Just thought I'd throw in my opinion since I can liberally class myself as an author, though I am guilty of just about every crime there is...

I am VERY picky when it comes to reading stories. As such I can honestly say I only enjoy maybe 1 out of every 50 diaper stories that I try to read, which means there aren't many that I've ever enjoyed. I guess thats why I write myself, as I tend to write stories the way I would want to read them.

Male characters are out altogether, except for maybe minor roles. This stems from my need to be able to relate to the story in some fashion (and hence why my stories are always at least partly autobiographical), and also from my lousy experience with DL guys in general.

I'm not into furry or anything else like that, which seems slightly hypocritical of me since one of my favourite sites is in fact furry themed.

I'm not into AB; any babying other than the natural babyish feelings from someone who needs to wear diapers can stay right out. I'm also not into DL, so if a character wears diapers just for fun or begins to feel attracted to their diapers I immediately lose interest.

I prefer the character in diapers to be my age or younger, again because I need some way to relate.

It has to be fairly non-sexual. I mean, there can be love and affection so long as it stays cute and never gets any heavier.

I actually don't mind if the grammar and spelling isn't perfect, but I think there is a direct link between the quality of writing and quality of grammar. The writer of a story that is very poorly written is simply not very smart, and it isn't likely to be very good.

There some things I do like though, so its not all about restrictions!

I like characters in diapers because they need them, whether they accept it or have to be made to wear them for their own good. A personal favourite is the character who is clearly losing control but refuses to admit it, resisting diapers for as long as they can as their accidents get worse.

I also love laziness in characters (not writers!). A character who slips back into diapers due to sheer laziness or absent mindedness is a big win for me.

Someone asked a little earlier about 3rd person perspective vs 1st person. I have to say that 3rd person is often the safest simplest bet, though 1st person can be good if its done well. For 1st person to work there needs to be some reason for it, and for me that means getting a unique view that we wouldn't otherwise get, while at the same time being denied any thoughts of the other characters. The view needs to be somewhat skewed from that characters perspective, almost to the point where we as the reader begins to feel that we aren't getting the whole picture. Then we can truly feel like we're getting into this character's mind.

I like characters in diapers because they need them, whether they accept it or have to be made to wear them for their own good. A personal favourite is the character who is clearly losing control but refuses to admit it, resisting diapers for as long as they can as their accidents get worse.

I also love laziness in characters (not writers!). A character who slips back into diapers due to sheer laziness or absent mindedness is a big win for me.

I can see your two stories here :) Mimi as well as Amy both have these characteristics. I like such themes in stories as well, one of the main reasons why I like your stories so much (and as you mentioned above, the grammar in your stories and the way you structure them is also one of the reasons why I believe so many people like your stories so much) :)

p.s. I (as many here) really hope you finish your story about Mimi as well :) then you can start working on that sequel about Amy :)

Thankyou for the warm comments. I actually struggle a lot with spelling and grammar, which is part of the reason it takes me so long to update a story. I would imagine the same goes for other people as well, which is why I try not to be too harsh on people who lack good grammar.

As for Mimi's struggle...well, to be honest I'd hoped it was obvious that it isn't being continued on this site. I don't want to say any more on the subject, but if you still want to read it you can find it updated on the various other sites that I post on.

I just thought of another thing that I really go for in a story: minimal character description. It might sound strange but I prefer to use my imagination to picture the characters as I think they would be, as I often find that the detailed description given by the author just doesn't fit the way I think the character is developing. It has already been mentioned before by someone else, but in my opinion the block description is usually a sign of poor writing and an uninteresting story to follow (you know the ones "Girl X was your average 5'2" petite blonde with blues eyes, a nice body, short skirt, blah blah).

I agree with the others on the importance of good grammar and correct spelling, and I try to get a rhythm to my prose in order to make it flow. This is just a politeness to the reader, and makes it relaxing to read and understand what I am trying to get across. I agree also with trying to avoid block descriptions. A little hint here or there is all that is necessary, and it should fit in with the flow of the character; my "Vickie", being blond and fair-skinned is always worried about getting sunburnt. Amelia, being tall, is inclined to gangle. I prefer to build a character profile, and demonstrate it by the character's actions: Juliet is calm, serious and responsible, but worries a lot. Amelia is flighty, extrovert, a bit of a dare-devil, and Vickie is painfully shy and underconfident. This is a great help in writing because you can predict how the character will react in any given situation, as a result they tend to write themselves, and this saves me a lot of effort.

In terms of their attitude to diapers, they all regard them as a wretched nuisance, a humiliation, but essential in respect of their problem. The one exception is the sensual Amelia, who learned to associate diapers with sex when Peter changed her, and has developed something of a fetish. This was done to cover that aspect of the syndrome. I have tried to cover all aspects with the exception of BDSM because I am often writing about children and I feel that it is innappropriate to suggest such practices. What Amelia and Matt get up to in the privacy of their home is entirely up to them; they are adults. I find that stories which are too explicit tend to turn me off, as one persons fetish rarely translates exactly to another; sauce for the goose rarely does for the gander. I try to avoid being to detailed so as to allow the reader to fill in the gaps by using their own experience and imagination; I set the scene and they provide whatever stimulus appeals to them.

As the story line has developed I hope it has become able to carry the plot on its own merits rather than having to re-tittilate every couple of paragraphs. I recognise that I am writing for a specialist market which will require a diaper element, and I try to meet that demand, but it is difficult to keep it going over the 200,000 words of "Phone Conversation" without endless repeats.

• 4 weeks later...

I am VERY picky when it comes to reading stories. As such I can honestly say I only enjoy maybe 1 out of every 50 diaper stories that I try to read, which means there aren't many that I've ever enjoyed. I guess that's why I write myself, as I tend to write stories the way I would want to read them.

Totally agree with you there, Pink. I think that in a community with so many different niche audiences, a lot of people probably feel this way. Assuming that a story has been written competently, the main points of division seem to be over how old the character is, whether there is ageplay involved, whether the diapered character(s) experience incontinence or not, and (perhaps most of all) whether there is sex or not. There are also a lot of people out there who identify with fetish communities which are not necessarily related to the diaper world, i.e., furries, crossdressers, BDSMers, etcetera. It is always a nice bonus to find that an author shares not only the same sensibilities about diapers as you, but also whatever other fetish you might be into. Conversely, people who don't like sex or sexuality in their stories would probably close the window as soon a fetish subject crops up.

I personally am not into ageplay outside of the most subtle suggestions. Pigtails and juvenile behavior on a girl who is otherwise all grown up can be very attractive, but baby talk and improbable nursery set ups turn me right off. Incontinence and accidental wetting from someone old enough to know better are usually the most interesting scenarios for me, but I have thoroughly enjoyed many stories where the character is introduced as a non-incontinent DL right off the bat. As long as the scenario being described is at least reasonably plausible, my preference toward one or the other isn't that strong. Sex and sexuality are fine with me, but also not totally necessary. I think that a certain amount of implied sexual tension can make a story more interesting though.

• 5 months later...

I have to believe it can or could happen. The story can grow and be more unbelievable later but the story must hook me before that point. Unbelievable things like the mother, father, aunt, or other family members who put the son, daughter, etc into diapers. I just can't see it in a family. Neighbor or girl/boy friend is easier to believe.

I have found myself hooked on some over the top unbelievable stories but the stories had to slowly get to that point.

One trick I have done to a lot of other peoples stories if I like them is to copy and paste them to word. Then I use 'find and replace' to replace the victim's name with my name.

• 10 months later...