LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

50% Of Those Over 70 Will Become Incontinent

I learned this from my PhD the other day.

50% Of Those Over 70 years of age will become a certain stage of incontinent.

So if that's a proven fact, we shall be in good company with just a few years.

If I have to be put into a nursing home, I'm going to be bladder incontinent 24/7.

Even if I can still hold it.

Which I can BARELY do at 40.

Think it's time to buy stock in Depends with all the "Baby Boomers" getting older. :P

• Like 1

Why would you ever want to live in a nursing home? I would rather die before I ever go to live in one of those places.

Incontinence over 70 is more a mark of less mobility, functional decline and dementia than anything else. Not good times in my observation of those folks... I never want to live that long with those repercussions just to be incontinent... I doubt you would enjoy those years either - and perhaps too demented to care or even know what is going on

Nursing homes can be unpleasant at times. My mother has been in one for about 4 years now. That was after 6 years of full time care in their home. She seems fine with it but we all hate going there, but what are you going to do; she is bedridden and requires full time care from a stroke and Parkinson's Disease. My partner has an uncle that is in one as well. His uncle has severe dementia, his wife died last year from cancer and there are no children. I suppose the only good thing is the poor guy doesn't have a clue, thinks it is the 1950's. So, don't say never life can throw some nasty curve balls.

There are many reasonable alternatives to nursing homes where you can get better care - you just need to plan ahead. Also, there are many excellent hospice programs out there - why bother doing things to prolong the misery? There are too many completely demented and nonfunctional people with families who want it all and somehow think that living forever no matter the cost or suffering is the right thing to do. Many of those folks are best served in hospice programs that focus more on comfort rather than aggressive care to sustain a miserable quality of life.

So many healthcare dollars wasted on futile efforts... at some point we have to realize that longevity is not the goal.

I learned this from my PhD the other day.

50% Of Those Over 70 years of age will become a certain stage of incontinent.

So if that's a proven fact, we shall be in good company with just a few years.

If I have to be put into a nursing home, I'm going to be bladder incontinent 24/7.

Even if I can still hold it.

Which I can BARELY do at 40.

Think it's time to buy stock in Depends with all the "Baby Boomers" getting older. :P

Kari,

With all due respect, in what field does the person you quote hold a PhD?

For years research has shown that during menopause over 60% of women who gave birth will have bladder control problems. That percentage increases with the number of pregnancies. The figures used by adult incontinence product makers use 55 as the first major age for men. Long before age 70 some bladder control problems can be expected by most men.

Add to the above all the women who are currently pregnant and have incontinence.

Add all the teens and younger adults rendered incontinent as a result of accidents.

Add the teenage girls with night and day control issues post puberty.

Add a percentage of girls who ride horses and have an unusually high incidence of bladder control issues.

What you get is a population just in the USA many times the size of the infant population that buys adult disposables. The most recent accepted figures for the USA are that over 35 million people bought at least one pack of adult incontinence products in 2008. That number does include those under the care of another person or institution which provided the incontinence products. Usually in the USA at a given moment there are under 5 million children below 30 months of age, the prime diapered years. There are over 4 million people living in hospitals and assisted housing in the USA. In ordinary USA hospitals diapers are not routine, but become so with assisted living.

For many years the USA dollar value of adult incontinence products sold has been 3 or more times the value of the baby disposables sold. The profit on the adult incontinence products is even greater, since the customers are brand-loyal and adult diapers seldom are on sale,

Some adult diapers are on sale a lot, actually. Here in California, Rite Aid always has sales on Depend and Tena, but once you venture out of the mainstream diaper market, you're not going to find sales.

I don't believe in the 50% statistic.

Something people within the AB/DL community don't seem to understand is that 'incontinent' is a term which covers a great number of circumstances. Any loss of control of urine at all is considered incontinence. Even if it's just a few drops here and there. There are millions of people who are technically incontinent but make no use of diapers and/or any absorbent product at all. Really, in most cases it isn't necessary or desirable. In a medical/nursing setting, diapers are ideally used only for a short time.

Nursing home staff usually abuse diapers. That is to say, they often use them when they aren't necessary for their own convenience. There are countless people out there who have no trouble holding it for the length of time that any normal person could, yet they are made to wear diapers because they are in an institutional setting where the staff doesn't have time to take them to the bathroom.

In hospitals where I've worked, we didn't put people in diapers unless they were totally out of it. Those with neurogenic bladder were catheterized intermittently and those with mobility issues were typically just given a urinal. It was only when somebody was unable to recognize the need to void by way of delirium or some such that we actually used diapers. Granted, hospitals are usually much better staffed than nursing homes, and we had time to help the patients toilet 'properly.' But, any way you slice it, diapers are never meant to replace the toilet. Even in delirious patients there is some effort made to establish a toileting program.

Sorry if that rant was a bit off topic. I understand that nobody explicitly stated that 'all incontinent people wear diapers,' but I guess what I'm saying is that the two are in no way mutually inclusive of each other.

Nursing home staff usually abuse diapers. That is to say, they often use them when they aren't necessary for their own convenience. There are countless people out there who have no trouble holding it for the length of time that any normal person could, yet they are made to wear diapers because they are in an institutional setting where the staff doesn't have time to take them to the bathroom.

I agree, based on my own experiences with extended care facilities. While many are understaffed, sometimes the staff is just too lazy to help when it is needed. I can't count how many times I've been to a facility to see the staff ignore the call bells. I've even heard a woman call to the nurse "I need to use the bathroom" several times over the course of several minutes before saying "never mind."

This seems to change based on the affluence of the facility as well. I work primarily around poor city facilities, and as you get into the outlying suburban facilities you get much better care, given by much better caregivers.

In general our society takes very poor care of our elderly.