LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

School Food

Mary-Ann

When in the US my school lunch was as follows:

cold soggy "shoe string french fried" potatos dripping with LARD grease

bread with cheese and tomato sauce (they tried to pass it off as pizza, it was government surplus food)

Molk (what we called the powdered reconst milk they served us)

Moose Juice (mysterious fruity flavoured drink that was 8% juice 92%???)

Everyone gets ONLY ONE packet of "catsup" (there was an old lady who hadn't gotten laid since Sputnik with an attitude to prove it who enforced this)

EVERY DAY!

They were supposed to have different foods, but I always had the last lunch section and this is all that was left. So for the better part of 2 school years, this was it! We had to pay (I think) $2.25 for this CRAP when a McD's was ACROSS THE STREET teasing us with 79 cent burgers. If we left campus we risked arrest and of course there was ALWAYS a cop during lunch time at the crosswalks anywhere near the McD's. Not to mention the cops hung out there all day.

1-6th best I remember was ok... 7-8th front line different things back line spaghetti or cheese burgers(not sure what the meat was) 9-12 about the same as jr. high... Thanksgiving was always pretty good & veg. soup days I liked the pbj sandwichs but would trade the cheese spread ones or trash it. 1-2 times a year I would run to bank cash my paycheck & get McDonalds. ALWAYS before high school I'd stop at the bakery & get a bagfull of brownies.:D

The world has defiantly changed and not for the good I'm afraid...so sad :crybaby:

Oh yeah...as for the dollar, Their was a small thrift/consignment/junk shop, catty cornered from the Elementary school. The front counter was Chock full of candy with a glass display case and the wall filled behind it. Every kind of pennie candy some a nickle and I believe candybars (About 2 times the size they are now) were a dime. Brown paper bag full of candy me and my brother walked home about 1/2 mile, ruining our dinner!:thumbsup:

I agree!!! You could leave your door wide open & go out of town :o & find nothing gone when you got back. If it rained your neighbor would know you had left & close your windows for you too. :whistling: LOL For a dollar you could get a bagfull of candy & a JUMBO or kingsize coke & change.:)

• 4 weeks later...

ice cream vending machines that were really loud O_O

Wow, you had those in grade school? The first time I ever saw an ice cream vending machine was in college, and if I was eating dinner there or had a night course, there was a good chance that at some point I'd be swinging by the student center and buying some type of ice cream. (Neopolitian ice cream sandwich, chipwich, brown cow, or a traditional ice cream sandwich depending on how much money I had on me and what was left in the vending machine by the time I got there.) If I wanted to buy ice cream in elementary school, I had to wait until the "ice cream day" of that particular week, (it changed randomly,) wait for the "Lunch Nazis" (more on them in a moment,) to cart out a glorified cooler with ice cream in it, and hope that they actually handed me what I paid for. (There were plenty of times when the Lunch Nazis weren't out of a requested type of ice cream and just handed people the wrong thing and refuse to accept that they made a mistake.) After elementary school, everybody still used the same glorified coolers for the ice cream, but they had it available every day, and they let us get it from the cooler on our own so nobody could screw up our "order," if you will.

All right, let me make a clear distinction between the Lunch Ladies and the Lunch Nazis, because they're two totally different things. The Lunch Ladies were the women who served the food in the cafeteria, took our payment, and were usually quite nice to have around. The Lunch Nazis (think Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi," rather then actual Nazi,) were the elementary-school-only cafeteria aides/glorified babysitters, who generally created the very problems that they were hired to prevent. The Lunch Nazis were also in charge of supervising the playground, and handling the ice cream, much to everyone's dissatisfaction. In theory, cafeteria aides were a good idea. In practice, they usually managed to create conflict where none existed. I can think of many occasions where two students would be getting along fine until these women (and yes, they were all women,) stepped in, and the end result was frequently fisticuffs, with the Principal often stepping in, and frequently reprimanding the students first, and the Lunch Nazis second. To be quite honest, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how these women kept their jobs since the students didn't like them and the parents didn't like them either. (I later found out our Principal simply didn't want to fire anyone, even though he probably should have in this case.)

There were two really nasty Lunch Nazis, a blond one and a brunette one, and the brunette was definitely the worse of the two. If you bought lunch, the Lunch Nazis effectively forced you to buy milk, even if you weren't going to drink it or brought a drink from home. I frequently was forced to buy milk that I had no intention of drinking. My mother (and father) didn't appreciate this, (nor did many mothers and fathers,) and she voiced her concerns along with other ignored parents. The next few days we wouldn't have to buy milk, then the Lunch Nazis would try to make us by milk again, the parents would step in again, and the process would be repeated. The Brunette would practically rip your money out of your hand for the milk, and shove the carton in your face, it didn't help that she was loud and cranky either, nor did it help that she was the cause of most of the conflict in the cafeteria, on the playground, and if people actually needed her help, she would ignore them. Like everyone else, I put up with both of the Lunch Nazis until either the third or fourth grade. At the beginning of either the third or fourth grade (I can't remember which,) the Principal finally fired the two Lunch Nazis and replaced them with competent aides, pleasing pretty much everyone. (I still remember a bunch of us celebrating that those two women had lost their jobs. Believe me, if you had to deal with them, you'd probably have been celebrating too.)

Anyway, getting back on topic, yes there are several elementary school foods that I still enjoy. Tater tots are probably my favorite that I rarely get to eat. Hash browns, which I consider the larger cousins of tater tots are something that I still occasionally eat, and during college, they were often a part of my breakfast. Stuffed shells were one of my favorite foods in elementary school, and to this date I still love them, and will order them at restaurants and have them for dinner when I can. Our school district used to serve a "Steak-Umms" style "Cheese Steak," and I'm a sucker for Cheese Steak, so that's still a favorite of mine as well from my elementary school days. I still love Lunchables as well, and if I ever had to bring a Lunch with me anywhere, I'd be grabbing some form of Lunchables from the grocery store, since they're one of the few deli items that I can actually stomach. As far as juice-drinks go, I'd have to say that nothing beats a pouch of Capri Sun in the summer. As soon as the temperature starts approaching 80 degrees, that's my cue to pick up Capri Sun again.

Unfortunately, there are also plenty of cafeteria foods that I hope to never see again--ever. Chicken Patties are the top offender, and I remember choking them down because the alternative was bringing a lunch that would taste worse by the time I'd get to eat it. Every Thanksgiving, the cafeteria would serve a Thanksgiving dinner right before Thanksgiving break. The Turkey was okay for cafeteria food, as was the green stuff they'd serve with it (calling it a vegetable is giving it too much credit,) but the instant potatoes made me want to puke, and I had to remember to save the "gravy" from the turkey (or mix the potatoes with it,) to be able to stomach the wanna-be potatoes. Chicken Nuggets, while not as disgusting as Chicken Patties were still pretty bad. To put things into perspective, the elementary school used to get them from a local community college. When I attended that community college, I knew professors who went out of their way to avoid the aforementioned chicken nuggets. One day I finally went "how bad can they be," and I found out that they'd come up with a way to actually make them worse then I remembered. (A few years ago the community college redid their entire menu and dropped the offending chicken nuggets. I don't think anybody missed them.) The cafeteria also served subs, although they referred to them as "hoagies." I love subs, I despise the "hoagies" that were passed off as subs by my school cafeterias, which could barely qualify as a ham sandwich gone bad. Even worse though were the school hot dogs. I have no idea what they did to them, but they didn't taste the way a hot dog is supposed to, don't even get me started on the "fries" that came with the hot dogs and hamburgers, and were an insult to "fries" on every level possible.

The cheeseburgers/hamburgers deserve special mention in their own paragraph. They were passable, not as bad as the hot dogs or the "hoagies" (I'm being generous by calling them "hoagies,") or some of the other food mentioned above, but not the type of thing that really made me excited about lunch either. One day, very early on in middle school, I was sitting with a friend who had bought his lunch from home. My friend noticed my burger, took a look at it, and went "oh, you're having the cow balls." From that moment on the school burgers were forever cursed as "burgers made from cow balls," which was admittedly giving them more credit then they deserved. Another friend of mine felt the need to make the situation worse, as she pointed out that "they're not cow balls, they're 'grade-E meat,' otherwise known as meat-byproduct." I remember shooting her a look and going "thanks asshole." For some reason though, "cow balls" still sounds more disgusting then "meat by-product," so the school burgers will forever be "burgers made from cow balls" to me.

Fridays were always Pizza days, and like the burgers, the Pizza deserves special attention. First, the elementary school insisted on serving those disgusting frozen pizza rectangles that didn't even look like a pizza. I hated calling these things "pizza," but even lousy pizza is less disgusting then some foods served by the cafeteria, so I was fine with tolerating the stupid frozen pizza rectangles. The real offender was the pitiful excuse for salad that they threw on our lunch trays, which I normally threw right in the trash. It was the most disgusting thing I'd ever tasted, and I'm convinced it existed for the sole purpose of making the pizza more appetizing. In middle school Fridays were still pizza days, but they got rid of those disgusting frozen pizza rectangles and replaced them with Dominoes Pizza, which compared to the frozen pizza rectangles might as well have come from a pizzeria in New York City. On Mondays, they also would serve any leftover pizza from the week before, so I frequently had reheated pizza for lunch on Mondays, which was often preferable to the other food in the cafeteria.

For awhile I brought traditional lunches to school, but they always tasted lousy. I bought lunch for awhile, and eventually I started bringing soup to school in a Thermos, which I effectively did until the end of elementary school. In middle school I began buying my lunches again, many of which were the same as the ones from elementary school. But to answer your question, yes, there are still foods from elementary school that I enjoy. (And darn it, now I have a craving for hash browns and cheese steak.)

Finally, I should point out that those partitioned trays may be the reason why I still eat my meals in sections, as do many other people I know. Party plates are similar, and more then once people have asked me if I eat in sections when not using a partitioned to plate, to which I always respond "yes." Some people expect this, but others look at me like I have three heads. (Hey what can I say, I like to eat in phases, and I like to keep my food separate until it hits my stomach. Yeah, I'm weird like that.)

• 4 months later...

When I was in first to fifth grade, we had lunch boxes in which I carried a sandwich, banana, pastry and a thermos of chocolate milk. It was at about age 6 that I saw on Howdy Doody, Hostess Cup Cakes. You should have seen me when I found a package of those in my lunch box. Holy mola ayatollah!

• 2 years later...

Our pizza's where in the shape of a stop sign. We also had taco tubs.The taco shell was in the shape of a rectangular bowl. Every Halloween they would serve us chili which they called witch's brew.

I loved those freezer pops and they would hurt my fingers sometimes and were hard to open. I loved their cheese. I also remember their square pizzas and corn dogs and corn, tater tots, celery or carrots, cookie or brownie, hamburgers, pork beans, and I always loved it when they gave out seconds whenever they had extra food so instead of throwing it away, they would hand out seconds. I also loved their fudgicles. We were all served the same thing and we had a choice between salad bar or hot lunch. In middle school it was the same too and in high school. I lived in a small town when I was 13 and up so we were a small school and all the food was the same in our school district for all schools, elementary, junior high and high school. I never understood why kids would find our school lunches disgusting but in Montana pretty much everyone had a hot lunch. In elementary school when I lived in Washington, half the kids brought their own lunches to school. I brought mine to school too.

Guest Princess Tinkle Pants

We had cheese covered french fries, pizza squares, these spicy fries that kinda tasted like arbys fries, and every week we had a taco bar. You got a tortilla and you got to load it up with your fixins. OMG I miss those days now *sad sigh* lol