LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

"Accepting Diversity In The Workplace"

Dr_J

Yesterday was my first day working at Best Buy. Well, it wasn't working, per se. Rather, we had a Culture Day where we learned all about the company, its policies, and the people we'd be working with.

There was one major part that stuck out to me, though. It was the video and discussion on Best Buy's code to accept Diversity. This acceptance included people of various races, sexual orientations, ethnic backgrounds, and other things of the like. They claim to have an open door, non-judgmental policy when it comes to our backgrounds.

And it makes me wonder: how on Earth would they react if they knew about me? The entire time all I kept thinking was that they truly do seem to be accepting of our individual lifestyles...but there has to be exceptions, don't there? Would they really look at me the same way or accept me if I told them that I was involved in this kind of thing?

My mind tells me maybe, but my heart tells me no. I imagined myself talking to the managers about the possibility of there being a group related to the AB/DL lifestyle (with exceptions of course...those exceptions being that we obviously wouldn't be allowed to wear in the workplace, etc.) and them telling me I was fired a few days later. I imagined everyone looking at me peculiarly and whispering things behind my back.

I envied the current groups Best Buy has formed. I envied their ability and freedom to feel comfortable about themselves without fear of judgment in the workplace (Although I know judgment will always take place...but the managers I've met all seemed strongly for all types of backgrounds and lifestyles. They were all open-minded and told us to have open minds)

We have not yet been able to receive such an opportunity though, have we? We're still frowned upon by a majority of the public and are called things like "freaks, sick-minded people, and pedophiles." We're told we need to see shrinks and get help. We're sometimes talked about with such animosity that it makes us fear the worst.

I chose not to speak to a manager about it, for obvious reasons. But I hoped. And I still hope, that one day maybe I won't have to hide. Given the circumstances, one involved in this lifestyle can only hope.

Those things are just to make them seem like they're a caring friendly company, wait till you start work. Discrimination still happens, they just pretend it doesn't.

I've just done two days of that kinda training for my job. I think it comes down to what CTK said, its a workplace, not a place for this kinda thing :X. It would be nice to be more open about it but hell, some people can't except gay people still....

I've worked for The Home Depot, Lowes, and Toys R Us. This is Corporate America Speak for complying with federal and state laws. If you wear diapers, keep them under your pants. If any co-workers shy away form you, perhaps you didn't hide your diapers well enough in loose clothing. All the BS is to keep from getting sued and you still can't get people to change generally accepted views and norms overnight. I went through the same feeling you have. Just enjoy yourself but be careful, as usuall.

You never know, though. There are always cute cashiers who have to stand at the register for hours and oncein awhile you may see one with a Little Girl personality. I have, and you never know.

I've worked for The Home Depot, Lowes, and Toys R Us. This is Corporate America Speak for complying with federal and state laws. If you wear diapers, keep them under your pants. If any co-workers shy away form you, perhaps you didn't hide your diapers well enough in loose clothing. All the BS is to keep from getting sued and you still can't get people to change generally accepted views and norms overnight. I went through the same feeling you have. Just enjoy yourself but be careful, as usual.

Bullseye :thumbsup: Never trust policies like this to actually work- they rarely do :( As always if they want to get rid of you they will find a way (even if they have to create it :o ) Keep personal stuff and business stuff separated and you should come out OK in the end ;)

You never know, though. There are always cute cashiers who have to stand at the register for hours and once in awhile you may see one with a Little Girl personality. I have, and you never know.

I'd even avoid that much connection :blush: Just keep yourself to yourself and do your job- or someone else may end up with it :crybaby:

Bettypooh

Even in regards to cultural-ism, if you turn your place of employment into a 'pride' rally you should be fired. I don't care what the culture/lifestyle is, if you draw attention to yourself needlessly that's a you fail not a diversity fail. All I'm saying is don't flaunt and taunt and you are fine. Ironically I worked with a gay kid a few years ago who was the last one to 'know' that he was gay. He came out and all 50 of us said, "We already knew" and since he wasn't doing anything inappropriate nobody cared. As for diapers, I wore to my last job a few times, however I even wore tenas just to avoid any crinkle as I didn't need or want the attention.

• Like 1

Diversity Training is one of the biggest corporate jokes, next to profit sharing. First and foremost, it's a legal CYA (Cover Your Ass) in a less-serious cloak. By making it fun and energetic, and making the newbies feel like it's a good place to work, they hope to 'roll out the welcome mat', so to speak. After all, happy employees not only complain less, but they work better, and actually cost the company less money. It makes good business sense to pretend that you're cool with everybody. But as we all know, Corporate America isn't even down with themselves, let alone anyone not straight, white, and boring.

The bottom line is that you can't believe a word of it. It's all bullshit, and they not only CAN, but WILL discriminate against anyone who doesn't at least passively comply with the group dynamic. Welcome to the working world. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with tris. They preach about diversity and acceptance, but what they fail to tell you that the policies are subject to interpretation by the managers at each store. I've worked for Walmart since I was 16 and I learned real fast that if you are obviously different from their idea of "normal", you ultimately given the option of "conforming" or being fired.

I had a mohawk and was given the option of getting rid of it or being fired more or less. There were guys who worked there that had mohawks, but because I was girl it was unacceptable. What I'm getting at, is that large companies have the ability to do whatever they want because the individual really doesn't matter and with the power that they contain, no lawsuit against them would ever win, or it would be held up in court so long that it wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Long story short, it's just to make it look like they care about you and to cover theirselves from a legal point of view.

Edit: I was just thinking about what I said earlier, and I don't mean to dash any hope. That was not my intention. It is possible that Best Buy may be different and for your sake I hope so. I just didn't mean to come off so overly pessimistic.. because I am not usually so.

Edited by Jabez

I got fired from my last job for releasing frustration on my facebook acct. One of the employees is basically assigned to be a narc and befriend every employee. I explained to them since I never mentioned any names or company references they couldn't fire me. Essentially they just said "we're adding performance too" and left it at that. I filed for unemployment and told the gentleman what happened. He said unfortunately companies can do whatever they want and also told me I won my case anyways as they didn't have the audacity to show up for the hearing.

You can get fired for not being conservative enough or in my case not 'progressive' and 'politically correct' enough. You don't really have any rights unless you run your own business.

I got fired from my last job for releasing frustration on my facebook acct. One of the employees is basically assigned to be a narc and befriend every employee. I explained to them since I never mentioned any names or company references they couldn't fire me. Essentially they just said "we're adding performance too" and left it at that. I filed for unemployment and told the gentleman what happened. He said unfortunately companies can do whatever they want and also told me I won my case anyways as they didn't have the audacity to show up for the hearing.

You can get fired for not being conservative enough or in my case not 'progressive' and 'politically correct' enough. You don't really have any rights unless you run your own business.

...and a 'win' like this is still a loss. I'm sorry about your job. That really stinks. You've made a good point.

Our corporation has developed a new scheme called "Rethink Diversity" which is probably the

dumbest slogan I've heard in a long time. Like hey, I was for it before, but now I have to

Rethink it.