LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Ever Feel Bad For The Environment?

Guest diaperguy68

Hear hear! This is a much larger problem than just our diapers and their effect on the environment. And while I don't think any well-known politician is worthy of our support they will do much to cause our future so it's something to think about too. If you do the research deeply enough you will discover that there is very little difference in total environmental impact between cloth and disposable diapers. Look at the entire cycle from beginning to end and you'll come to understand that both have their good and bad points, and about the best we can do is to choose the one which best fits our local environment. And in the end neither one is going to have a quantifiable impact of the big picture where much more serious problems of our own making loom to destroy us.

In this I am glad that I am older and I won't be around to experience the end effect of human stupidity, and I am also glad that I have no progeny to care about who will have to deal with it either. Whatever I do or do not do will not be quantifiable either so phooey on it all. I'm just going to do what little I can and let the rest of the world go ahead and destroy itself because it is going to regardless <_< Now go have a nice day because that's what I'm gonna do no matter what anyone else may think about it :P

Bettypooh

there was a report compiled in Australia that totally debunked the whole cloth is better for the environment theory and actually proved that cloth were slightly worse for the environment when you considered the cultivation of cotton and laundry impacts etc.

Yes, I feel terrible about the environment. Given the effective denial of the nature and magnitude of the problem, we've continued business as usual. I think it's far too late for a good outcome. I am not worried about the minuscule additional impact of my buying and washing cloth diapers.

I do think virtuous acts by (enough) individuals could be important. On the other hand, government and business policies being what they are*, what one person don't use or destroy will get used up and destroyed in some other way. In this regime, individual responsibility doesn't matter for much, as far as 'the environment' goes. Might matter as far as learning skills you can use in a difficult future, but even in that case, surviving and thriving is going to require a great deal of luck in addition, in my opinion.

Edit: *...and, humans' habits of multiplying like rabbits even in the face of this calamity,...

The people can make a difference but it takes having enough people headed in the right direction to achieve that. A lot of people will need to be pushed into doing better through social or legal pressure though- that is the saddest part to me <_< And for it to be truly effective it has to happen on a continental or world-wide scale which makes the hope even dimmer :(

We inherited a world in need of repair from past mistakes such as poor water treatment, chemical and toxic waste poisoning, and indiscriminate dumping. A lot of what we faced was due to ignorance of the importance of handling these things properly- you cannot do better if you don't know better. We now know better but we're not doing any better overall and that doesn't look like it's going to change :crybaby:

1 hour ago, Bettypooh said:

The people can make a difference but it takes having enough people headed in the right direction to achieve that. A lot of people will need to be pushed into doing better through social or legal pressure though- that is the saddest part to me <_< And for it to be truly effective it has to happen on a continental or world-wide scale which makes the hope even dimmer :(

In order for recycling to make sense, enough people have to be doing it, otherwise it is not economically favorable. I don't think legal pressure is as important as just making it easier for the individual to do the right thing. Here in Madison, we recently switched to single stream recycling. There was a small increase in cost for them due