LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Tube Service Suspended

DailyDi

• 4 weeks later...

Tube is back down. Too much traffic, slowing down everything on the server. Working on a solution, but basically we have to figure out how to guarantee an exta $60 a month in income to pay for a larger traffic stream.

Guest kit foxfire

Tube is back down. Too much traffic, slowing down everything on the server. Working on a solution, but basically we have to figure out how to guarantee an exta $60 a month in income to pay for a larger traffic stream.

so when exactly do you expect it to be back up? other than donations, have you been able to come up with any other ways that you might be able to afford the extra $60 a month? also, im sure many people will agree with me when i say this, but slow ddtube is better than no ddtube...please post a reply and give an estimate on how long the site should be down, im sure other members also have this question on their minds...and thanks for such a great website regardless! :P

so when exactly do you expect it to be back up? other than donations, have you been able to come up with any other ways that you might be able to afford the extra $60 a month? also, im sure many people will agree with me when i say this, but slow ddtube is better than no ddtube...please post a reply and give an estimate on how long the site should be down, im sure other members also have this question on their minds...and thanks for such a great website regardless! :P

Problem wasn't just slow [DD]Tube, but slow everything on the server... but I am working on it. Hoping to find an exclusive sponsor for the tube service.

If only I could loan you some of my webserver's traffic space. I'd gladly give some up for DDtube back up and running.

But, I sure do hope you can get it back up again! Best of luck!

The problem isn't how much traffic we use, but how much we use per second... the tubes got clogged :) We have to upgrade to a larger port to turn the vids back on.

So....ahhh we planning to drill bigger holes? I for one vote for blasting..it's alot more fun...BTW I actually used it yesterday was poking around, damn it I guess my 15Mbt connection blew the whole thing....Sorry! :P;)

The amount of views of these videos on "The Tube" is an enormous amount compared to the views and posts on the boards here (or am I missing something and I'm mistaken ... at least it appears that way).

I'm really wondering if all these viewers are active members/posting or just people who surf around the net, now possibly from other sites and land on DD for the Tube. The only reason why this matters is that SOMEBODY has to pick up the financial slack at the end of the day.

Sad to see it down though, great feature IMO.

We are still working on a solution, it just has to be a long term one. What we require is considered a hardware change, and is permenent, so we have to be able to afford the extra money EVERY month - not as simple as saying donate a few bucks and we can turn it back on this month.

More ads on the Tube itself maybe? After 3 videos, you have to watch a 10-second ad?

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think there's much like it on the web right now so it's really up to be played with (and figured out).

Looking for a permanent sounds great though.

Ads would be good, but the software itself is in it's infancy and doesn't currently support anything more than a header banner. It doesn't (yet) have plug-ins for paid memberships, rotating ads, or video ads. Soon, we hope. With over a half million videos played in less than a month I am still hoping to find someone that would like to exclusively sponsor the service and get that exposure while helping us pay for the service.

Isn't there a way to lock it down a bit so to speak, I mean something along the lines of Having to enter through DD first and be a registered member here?

Perhaps it's already like that, as that's the only way I have entered it. If not then you could share some of the Burden with other sites financially of allowing them a link from their site..or something along those lines...Heck I don't know much about the whole thing..just tossing out Ideas.. :huh:

Ads would be good, but the software itself is in it's infancy and doesn't currently support anything more than a header banner. It doesn't (yet) have plug-ins for paid memberships, rotating ads, or video ads. Soon, we hope. With over a half million videos played in less than a month I am still hoping to find someone that would like to exclusively sponsor the service and get that exposure while helping us pay for the service.

Since I program web sites for a living... A couple thoughts to conserve bandwidth and inject advertisements:

1) Disable the auto-play on the video pages. I'm sure at least half the users simply visit the page and click the download link for the video. Since the browser won't actually have a cache of the FLV file until it is finished downloading from the player, clicking the link prior to that will actually start a second transfer of the FLV file to the visitor's computer. Depending on the bandwidth usage of the server at the time, if they have already downloaded half of the FLV in the player, that results in 50% more bandwidth usage per visitor.

2) Injecting advertisements would be pretty simple if they are formatted in FLV (same settings as the actual videos). Build a PHP script that simply injects the video stream of the ad in front of the actual video data in the player and disable the download link on the video display page. Put the download link at the end of the flash file and have it link directly to the FLV file which should now be cached on the visitor's computer and will download without the advertisement injected in front of it. As long as the format (bitrate/quality setting) is the same as the videos of the site, all you need to do is have PHP send the header info for the FLV which contains the indexing and whatnot, and then output the video stream of the ad before the stream of the FLV itself.

3) And lastly. You could easily add a banner script into the site anywhere in the layout that is convenient for placement. It would probably be best to put it on the video download page, and you could also set up a google adwords account and toss that code in there to churn out a little extra revenue from google.

Overall, the advertisement feature would probably be the best option since it would force visitors to watch the ad before the video and before downloading the video. And if they choose to use a video ripper to yank the FLV out of the player, they will end up downloading a version of it that permanently has the advertisement attached to the front of the video. Making it far better to just watch the ad and download the FLV at the end. This would also make it better for your advertisers since they have the peace of mind knowing that even if someone rips the video, their ad will still be in it.

The video system could even be modified to MD5 hash the filename with a salt variable based on a system time at upload or something undetectable and unpredictable by the users. This would allow you to store the raw FLV's in a secure manner preventing someone tech-savvy from breaking the code and allowing the download of the raw FLV files without the ad's.

If you need any help or whatnot, just shoot me an email, you should have my address :P I'm pretty busy at the moment with a couple large projects, but I'll do what I can to give you a hand or at least point you in the right direction ;)

Oh another thought as I was re-reading that post lol

For the FLV-ad thing, you will need to modify the player to disable the video navigation bar during the advertisement. This could be done by either making the advertisements a universal length of time and setting that within the player, or you would have to actually load the advertisement/video information through an XML request and play each one seperately. The flaw in that is that the FLV url will be sent in the XML request, allowing someone who knows what they're doing to reverse engineer the system to skip the ad's. You could always pull a youtube and encrypt the information using an internal varable inside the flash player as the key. Youtube's gets broken about an hour after they change it every time, but then again that's a high-traffic, global site... so there are a lot of people available to break the encryption each time. I doubt you would run into that issue here, nonetheless I think of these things because it's what I do lol But a simple internal-variable encryption would probably suffice to keep the FLV location secure until the end of the video.

I too develop websites for a living, mainly web applications, like rich internet applications. How much bandwidth is being used a month? I have several hosting alternatives that may be of interest. Also, I have ad software that allows you to add an ad anywhere you want by simply placing a javascript tag. It allows you to control placement, payment, campaigns, track clicks, etc.

Let me know how I can help and I have already donated this month too!

Well I'm very busy at the moment programming a social networking site, but why don't you email me (i'm assuming you can access my email address from the forum registration)

I may be able to use some of the video scripts I've been writing for this current project to allow me to interject video advertisements into the flash player or something of that sort...

It looks to me like [DD]Tube is based on some form of open source php/mysql software solution... If you can provide me the URL where I can download the software I may be able to look into the player/backend systems and see what can be done to insert advertising into the videos as well as check to see if there would be a way to disable the autoplay feature of the FLV player and modify the download information.

I'd be willing to help out if it keeps the community running here. Just need some of the details to get the information I need to sort it out.