LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Infection Of The Bladder

I have an infection in my bladder, this has caused me to become night incontinent. It also causes me a great deal of pain some days, I've been given just about every antibiotic known to man. And the infection re-occurs, when telling my doctor. I'm given more antibiotics, even though they work for a limited time.

Guest Dill pickle

Did your doctor discuss the non-drug remedies??

pure, full strength cranberry juice -- from your natural foods grocer, costs like $5 per quart, drink a quart each day. warning, so sour it's bitter. This actually has scientific backing..

lots of fluids (rinses out bladder)

eliminate refined sugar, like sweetened drinks, donuts..ocean spray is not as good for you as it could be because of the sweeteners..

Do i also need to ask about your diapering??? Messy diapers need swift changes, or the bacteria may re-infect you. Wet diapers need reasonably swift changes (like 1/2 hour) or the pee outside your body might infect you...it's sterile when it comes out, but it doesn't stay that way.

Also, when wiping off your rear, wipe towards the back....

and wearing loose clothing to let yourself dry out may also help...

powder might irritate you...

Finally, if you are constantly getting infected, that's a sign that something else is going on that needs attention....make sure your Dr knows that you have these things often...

Done all of that and more, I've even treid nettle tea. Which is said to be stronger than cranberry juice, nothing works.

I don't mind the incon, it's just the pain I'd like to loose.

I've heard the op has a 50/50 chance of working, but it also has a 50% chance of making you fully dependent on diapers.

Having the "pleasure" to be one that must deal with that issue year round due to my disability, I can only agree with what is allready said. Drink lots of fluid, pure water, no cola or other softdrinks counts, and remember cranberryjuice. 2 normal glasses of it pr day, more does not have better effect. And ofcourse remember to use your antibiotics as prescribed, don't stop in the middle of a treatment just because you feel better. Besides diluting the urine so the bacteria have the worst living conditions possible, water also makes the urine less strong and less irritating to your insides meaning less pain. Lots of fluid means atleast 2 liters pr day in smaller portions spread over the whole day. Sugar is sweets for bacteria they love it. So cut the chocolate and other sweet treats until the infection has gone. Afterwards, when you hopefully is well, remember to listen to the signs your body sends, immediately when you feel something coming on, start rinsing out with water and craneberryjuice and you can hopefully keep it down.

Done all of that and more, I've even treid nettle tea. Which is said to be stronger than cranberry juice, nothing works.

I don't mind the incon, it's just the pain I'd like to loose.

I've heard the op has a 50/50 chance of working, but it also has a 50% chance of making you fully dependent on diapers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
  • 1 month later...

Caution: some of the antibiotics commonly prescribed for bladder infections come with HUGE risks!

I am incontinent, must self cath to drain my bladder completely and get more than my fair share of infections. I was prescribed a variety of drugs in the fluoroquinolone family (Cipro, Noroxin, Floxin, Levequin are a few). After a short course of Noroxin last year, both my biceps tendons snapped off the bone and had to be surgically reattached. This was a side effect of the drug (lesions on major tendons) that NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT INCLUDING THE PRESCRIBING DOCTOR!

This same class of drugs has been linked to neuropathy, blindness and sudden seizures (lesions develop in the brain and optic nerve as well as tendons). I guess I got off lucky.

But be mindful of EVERYTHING a doctor (or anyone else) recommends you put in your body.

Mo

• 1 month later...

I have had 2 UTIs in the last few years and they were both very unpleasant and one time I really wet my pants on accident.

The pain is very bad when urinating. It feels like you are peeing fire.

One thing that really helps when you get an infection is an urinary alkalizer. You buy them from the pharmacy, they come in sachets and you disolve them in water. They neutralise your pee right away and make it not as painful.

Hello Dan

I read you posts and if the infection truely never gets better two things come to mind, one a kindey infection which is very hard to get rid of, Two you should have a bladder studdy done, there is a chance your retaining urine thus keeping the infection alive and well even with meds on board.

I know both of these well. A close friend of mine has been normal all his life and got UTI that never left he thought he was going to die before they got it fixed and they found out he was retaining about two table spoons or urine after each void. With some medications he right as rain again infection is gone.

The bladder study is a little uncormfortable as they fill (via cathete)r your bladder and you empty it and they check you seeing if all of it came out or not..

Hope this helps

C-ya

Rocky

:boxing:

"The Cranberry Connection

Should you drink gallons of cranberry juice for a UTI? Like any citrus juice, cranberry juice keeps the urine in an acid state, which discourages bacterial growth. An extra attraction of cranberry juice—and blueberry juice as well, one group of researchers found— is that it contains compounds that seem to make the walls of the bladder slippery. As a result, bacteria slide off (and out) instead of sticking around to cause infection."

A family member used to have recurrent UTI's and was advised by her GP to try cranberry juice as an alternative to repeat prescriptions of antibiotics. She has since been drinking at least a litre carton daily and the benefits have been quite remarkable in her case.

Another thing which I'm sure lots here don't want to know - talc/baby powder is a known bladder irritant, so best to avoid direct contact with the urinary tract if possible.

Dolly

• 2 weeks later...

"The Cranberry Connection

Should you drink gallons of cranberry juice for a UTI? Like any citrus juice, cranberry juice keeps the urine in an acid state, which discourages bacterial growth. An extra attraction of cranberry juice—and blueberry juice as well, one group of researchers found— is that it contains compounds that seem to make the walls of the bladder slippery. As a result, bacteria slide off (and out) instead of sticking around to cause infection."

A family member used to have recurrent UTI's and was advised by her GP to try cranberry juice as an alternative to repeat prescriptions of antibiotics. She has since been drinking at least a litre carton daily and the benefits have been quite remarkable in her case.

Another thing which I'm sure lots here don't want to know - talc/baby powder is a known bladder irritant, so best to avoid direct contact with the urinary tract if possible.

Dolly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can become allmost adicted to that stuff, that is when you first have learned to like craneberry juice. But, you really don't need to drink litres of it each day. Resarchers have studied this too, and have found that 2 normal glasses of craneberry juice pr. day is sufficient. More doesn't do anything better, but it doesn't hurt you either. This is what I have learned in hospital, and I have a tendency to trust those medicine people when they say things like this.

You can become allmost adicted to that stuff, that is when you first have learned to like craneberry juice. But, you really don't need to drink litres of it each day. Resarchers have studied this too, and have found that 2 normal glasses of craneberry juice pr. day is sufficient. More doesn't do anything better, but it doesn't hurt you either. This is what I have learned in hospital, and I have a tendency to trust those medicine people when they say things like this.

Errr....the paragraph I quoted came from a medical journal (sorry, I forgot to post source) and as far as I understand, it wasn't urging anyone to drink cranberry juice by the gallon and neither was I.

I think it's delicious by the way and didn't need to learn how to like it, I just do. It just goes to show we're all different I guess.

I wasn't advocating anything in my post, merely saying that my relative (who drinks around a litre a day, NOT a gallon) appears to have benefited since being advised to try it by her GP. As to the statement about becoming almost addicted to it, I can't say I've noticed any unusual cravings on her part, maybe the habit hasn't taken hold yet.

Dolly

As to the statement about becoming almost addicted to it, I can't say I've noticed any unusual cravings on her part, maybe the habit hasn't taken hold yet.

Dolly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you tried looking in her/his workdesk drawers :-) maybe there is a little bottle in one of them :-) Or maybe you should consider finding out what she/he does behind that door every half hour all day long :-)